The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about cutting 4"s off the barrel of a pre 64 model 70 250 savage. I think it would make a heck of a truck gun shooting 75grain Vmax. I was thinking a cutoff wheel for the barrel and a chamfering tool for the crown. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
Why not just a hacksaw and a file. Just eyeball the cut and file off the junk - oops, that would be the whole rifle at that point.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kudu58 said:
Why not just a hacksaw and a file. Just eyeball the cut and file off the junk - oops, that would be the whole rifle at that point.
Because the hacksaw keeps binding up against the workbench vise. This ain't my first attempt at something like this.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
RobOz said:
I was thinking a cutoff wheel for the barrel and a chamfering tool for the crown. Let me know what you guys think.
Great idea, you could also make a suppressor for it using a toilet paper roll and duct tape.

Best of luck,

MacGyver

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Rusty Dog said:
I think a spray paint camo job on the stock would be a nice touch as well.
Or with some black paint and a cheap brush he could replicate this gem...

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
If you're gonna turn it into a tomato stake, leave the extra 4 inches on it. As wet as the ground is, it may hold better being able to drive it that much farther into the mud.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Weld a tire iron onto the barrel and use the gun as a breaker bar. Those pre-64's make great household tools. Have one in 257 roberts carbine in my toolbox for cracking loose rusty bolts.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I just saw the Mythbusters where they proved that bending a barrel will not affect it's leathality.

So just bend it so you can shoot around trees. Or better yet, bend it 180* and take care of this idea once and for all.

I really hope this was a loaded question. 'Cause I'm going to try to keep coming up with loaded answers.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
use a sawzall, and a chain saw file,and you could use a drill to install a muzzy brake,bet ya did not think of that one.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
All joking aside, I believe finding a good team of competent gunsmiths would be your best and safest choice.

I've used these guys in the past and recommend them highly.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WildBill said:
Rusty Dog said:
I think a spray paint camo job on the stock would be a nice touch as well.
Or with some black paint and a cheap brush he could replicate this gem...
Lets' not turn this into a universalaslum topic.

This forum is for sharing ideas and knowledge.

That's a fine looking rig, Wild Bill.

This is the product I'm thinking about using for my stock. This is a budget project and I don't want to trip the coin for a Hogue OverMolded stock.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
RobOz said:
This is the product I'm thinking about using for my stock. This is a budget project and I don't want to trip the coin for a Hogue OverMolded stock.

Schweet !!!!

Don't forget to roll the gun in sand between coats of the Plasti Dip for enhanced grip-ability.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
treedaddy said:
dremel tool with a cut off disc, to clean up the checkering,
That seems like an awful lot of work when a simple wood rasp runs 4 LPI with each pass.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Strut10 said:
RobOz said:

Schweet !!!!

Don't forget to roll the gun in sand between coats of the Plasti Dip for enhanced grip-ability.
That is fine for the stock but not the barrel. A few coats of rustoleum would be best for any metal parts. After all is said an done it will be a nice compact weather warrior.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts