The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been a member for a while and have done some posting, but am not really known on here. I have been aware for quite some time of the close-knit friendships that are on this site, and I am impressed whole heartedly. As more of a shy member, I definitely read a whole lot more than post, and I will tell you that I visit the site everyday and look forward to it in the evening after I am done with work, cooking, looking after our kids, etc. What better place to go to for what I am requesting...

My husband was all scheduled to have a hernia repaired tomorrow, and at the appt with the surgeon, he spoke up and told him about some pain he was having in his lower right abdomen, convinced he was having an appendix flare up. To play it safe, the surgeon ordered a CT Scan to rule out anything else going on. There was an incidental finding of a left kidney mass that we had absolutely no idea was there (all the other organs were fine, including no appendicitis). This led to an MRI, which led to another thin-enhanced CT Scan, which diagnosed him with a 5 x 5 cm mass on his left kidney. We saw a urologist, who told us that he is 85-90% certain it is a renal carcinoma, based on size alone. On Dec. 3 my husband will be having his left kidney removed. We were blessed to know that there appears to be no cancer anywhere else in his abdomen and lungs, and his kidney function is normal, despite the fact that the mass is large enough to be displacing some of the internal parts of the kidney. What we don't know is the unknown, obviously. The mass appears to be all contained, and I believe it is the urologists hope that once the kidney is removed, he will be "cured" so to speak. My husband is holding up pretty good. In the time leading up to getting a concrete surgery date, he was having a really hard time. I am a nurse, and my head was so engrossed in getting him diagnosed and knowing exactly what we were dealing with. Now that we have a date established, my husband seems way more relaxed and now I am having trouble coping...all the while life and work and taking care of kids and house goes on. I am just scared and worried...about him going through surgery, about the outcome and finding out exactly what we are dealing with, about the future. We have two kids, 14 and 12. We're both 37 yrs. old. It is just so surreal to know that we would have never known this was here...
We have my husbands family for support and we're all leaning on each other. Some of my friends and neighbors have my husband on their church prayer chains.
I am asking that if you can, please keep my husband and my family in your prayers. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much. God Bless!

·
Registered
755 Posts
About 6-8 yrs ago my aunt pressured her doc into a CT for some pain she had been having. They found a tumor on her kidney. They removed it and she is doing just fine - retired and loving life. My prayers are with you and you family.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Prayers sent Honey- and try to remember-as trite as it sounds....one day at a time, ONE day at a time. You'll get through this, trust me.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
prayers are sent, i had a left kidney blocked in 2005.they where able to save my kidney.your husband will be fine.the right kidney will do all the work.my kidney did all the until 05.i have a great uro in chester county dr mcginnis.you can hardly see my scares.hope the best.just had my back oppt on nov6 and i'm starting to come around.and i'm only 30 .pm if u have any questions about dr.

·
Registered
671 Posts
My prayers go out to you and your family . You will need to be strong it is hard to do but you can't let your husband know what you are going though I can say this cause I went through this about 8 years ago I had a daughter that was in a quad accendent (sp) .broke her back had to have surgery rods in her spine only 24 yrs old at that time . than a year later my husband was hit from behind on his motorcycle right at the end of our driveway liver kidney slean had small cuts in them 4 broke ribs broken arm and nose skin on his face stomach torn off many number of others injurys . I had alot on my plate that year God got me through it .and so did my job I only drive school busy it was hard going to work each day but my kids on my bus help me alot I tired not to let my husband know what was going on in my mine there was days at a time that I didnot . so my dear I can understand what you are feeling you will get through this god be with you

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
2B I remeber when you came to HPA, and you introduced your hunting family to the HPA "family" we have here, and since I have a hunting family in the mountains as well, I think we exchanged well wishes for each others families success this season. But that is not where this website/community stops. You guys need anything from a place to vent, to any kind of help, you got it here as i never have been amongst such a great group of "strangers" in my life.

I try to be as positive as I can even on the tough days I may have, and reading your post leaves me feeling no different. I believe the fact that your husband had some tests for this upcoming common surgery that led him to this much more serious discovery when it did is one of those blessings that are hard to recognize at first. Sometimes blessings need to take you to some scary places in order to be achieved and please remember that. Early detection is the key.

From my hunting family to yours...you have our best wishes and certainly our prayers. Be well and be strong, and I look forward to MANY years of hearing your families stories here on HPA.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts