The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using slick trick 100g magnums for my broadheads and wanted to see what you guys do as far as practicing. Do you guys keep a spare (or two) sets of broadhead blades to shoot just for practice or do you actually practice with the same blades you will use to hunt with? I didn't know if it dulled the blades to much to hunt with the same ones you practice with? Are blades manufactured precise enough that you can 'assume' brand new unfired blades will fly the same as the ones you use to practice?

Thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would shoot the broadhead and get it shot in but definitly put need blades in it before you go hunting.The cut will be better and it should get better penetration with new blades.If you buy new broadheads It should not shoot any different as long as you are using the exact same broadhead as you been using.

That is just my opinion.But it works for me.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
424 Posts
In preparation for the season I practive with broadheads to be sure I'm on. If I want to take a few shots during the season I'll stick to field tips. You have to sight in with your broadheads though IMO.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
I keep two broadheads dedicated to practicing. Then of those two, whichever one is shooting the best for me, I put in new blades on that head and use it as my go to arrow. The other broadhead I keep using for practice.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Whitetail Freak said:
I would shoot the broadhead and get it shot in but definitly put need blades in it before you go hunting.The cut will be better and it should get better penetration with new blades.If you buy new broadheads It should not shoot any different as long as you are using the exact same broadhead as you been using.

That is just my opinion.But it works for me.

Hope this helps a little.
I have encountered some broadheads that just would not fly accurately off of some arrows / bolts, even though they were all the same type and brand.

Once I get a match of the right broadhead with the right shaft I keep them as a pair and only replace the blades for hunting following practice.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I use muzzys and do the same thing--Use practice blades to sight in and practice and change blades when ready to hunt.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I also shoot slick trick mags....I bought 2 sets of broadheads and one set of extra blades. I dulled out 3 broadheads practice shooting and kept them to use anytime I want to practice. Slick tricks are super fast to change th blades...takes a couple minutes but I'd never use blades that have been shot for practice.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
stack e'm high said:
I shot 7 deer with one G5 this year and never changed blads and i would shoot 7 more with it
I assume you resharpen the blades after each deer? I even touch up the blades on the broadhead I keep putting into and pulling out of the quiver during the season. Of course, I hunt 4 days a week so that broadhead sees alot of use.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
TBO2 said:
I use muzzys and do the same thing--Use practice blades to sight in and practice and change blades when ready to hunt.
Muzzy's here too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts