The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Neighbor guy does. He flys over ours and shares info too. He also took it up a couple weeks ago when my uncles bucking bulls went through the fance and spotted them for us. Made it a lot easier at least knowing where they were. Having rounded up too many escaped rodeo bulls, I can only immagine what hunting a Cape Buffalo feels like. Then again, them boys get real guns, not tranq. guns....

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you are talking about those parachutes with an engine, they are illegal to use for hunting purposes.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
John S said:
If you are talking about those parachutes with an engine, they are illegal to use for hunting purposes.
No more than a pick up truck...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:
(1) An automatic firearm or similar device.
(2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.
(3) Reserved.
(4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine.
(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.
(6) Any recorded call or sound or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of a call or sound of any description or any other call or sound or imitation of calls or sounds which are prohibited by regulations of the commission. The commission shall be authorized, by resolution, to adopt rules and regulations authorizing the limited use of recorded calls or sounds or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of calls or sounds when such use is necessary in the commission's judgment to protect the public health and safety or to preserve that species or any other endangered by it.
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">(7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower.</span></span></span> Nothing in this subsection shall pertain to any motorboat or sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the progress thereof has ceased.
(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material
and its residue.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
iv'e been reading alot about landlocked blm land in montana. might be a great way to access it?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would hope that the rule meant you couldn't use the parachute to actually hunt with. I think the idea of using one of these to scout with is a great idea. If you are willing to go out and purchase one, learn to fly it, and use it for scouting, then kudos to you.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is unawful to use a mtor vehicle to hunt for or locate game, that is what specifically illegal about them.

·
6,450 Posts
John S said:
It is unawful to use a mtor vehicle to hunt for or locate game, that is what specifically illegal about them.
can u spotlight from a truck see a buck in a field and then go out in the morning and said buck walks out and you shoot it is this legal?

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
treestand91 said:
John S said:
can u spotlight from a truck see a buck in a field and then go out in the morning and said buck walks out and you shoot it is this legal?
for now, unfortunately, yes that is somehow legal. if it isn't, then it's about time it is enforced!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I left this untouched last night with a feeling it would turn into the great debate.

My uncle has one, and takes aerial pictures for farmers and the such.
Nothing illegal about observing animals from altitude, you cannot land and then pursue said animals immediately. Or fire from the a/c, obviously. Or communicate with people on the ground to locate animals that are being hunted.

A few states already have laws outlining the use of a/c as a scouting tool, I believe. Something around the lines of you cannot hunt the same day you fly, IIRC.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Brine yes many states and provinces In Canada have one day waits between flying and hunting. Sadly the impossible with all this is proving and enforcing it In many cases.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Absolutly correct. I guess it was a mistake to think the people here would understand a motorized vehicle is a motorized vehicle, on the ground or in the air.

·
Administrator
28,376 Posts
The way the bunny huggers pitched a fit over the use of airplanes to hunt wolves in Alaska even when it was legal, you could just imagine how they'd cry if they ever saw such a thing here on the east coast.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
could you imagine the dozens of them packed together in the same spot on opening day.........100yds from the parking lot of every SGL
heck the PGC would need air traffic control officers!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
John S said:
Absolutly correct. I guess it was a mistake to think the people here would understand a motorized vehicle is a motorized vehicle, on the ground or in the air.
I fully understand it wouldn't be legal to hunt from. But as far as I am concerned there aren't any special rules for these things that don't already apply to trucks or ATVs. I could use them to access certain areas, or do some scouting to locate game that isn't visible from the road. Would also be good to fly over properties that a wounded deer ran onto before securing permission to retrieve.

Could also spot other treestands on bordering properties so I know how to best hunt around them or use them to my advantage.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
could be the PGC's or a concerned sportsman's best friend for finding corn piles as well during season, that would be an awesome use actually!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts