The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, a few years back, I tried powerbelts for my 50cal muzzy. They shot well & grouped well. I have no complaints in that area. Come huntin' time, I shot a doe at approx. 75 yards. It was facing me & I drilled her right in the brisket. It dropped like a sack of potatos. When I opened her up, the bullet was in a 1,000 peices! Just totally disintergrated. I thought "I'll never use these again". I've alway been a pass through kind of guy. Now I think, "why? All the energy from that bullet disapated inside the animal. It worked perfectly". Or did it? What if she hadn't dropped? There would have been no blood trail. Partly due to shot placement. But what if I'd hit her broadside & didn't have a pass through. Would she have ran forever with no bloodtrail? So the question is, who's using PBs, what grain, original or platinum, aero tip or hollow point, which powder & how much, & finally, what kind of performance are you seeing on game? pass though or disintergation? Thanks

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
not to blast you or anything , but if your a pass thru type of guy ,then why did you take the shot with her looking at you ??
i shot 1 with powerbelts and have no complaints , they did what they are made to do and thats to dispatch the quarry as quickly as possible

·
6,466 Posts
ive been lucky enough to get 3 deer in the past two seasons with mine. i shot a 7 point the day after christmas at 10 yds from a treestand slightly quartering to me. 245 gr hollow point power belt with 90 gr of 3f pushing it. he ran about 25 or 30 yards and piled up. didnt pass through but it did the job. then later in the season i shot a doe at 15 yards on a drive it was coming right at me. dropped her in her tracks. no pass through but liked the result. last season shot a doe at 30 yards broadside maybe sligtly quartered to me. no pass through but great result. piled up in 20 yards. all deer were shot from a .50 cal traditions hawken with 90 gr 3f pushing a 245 gr hollow point when using a hollow point the pass through may not happen but it tears them up inside.with a flinter you may not get many pass throughs but you will get a big thud. good luck with whatever you decide to use.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I shoot the regular 295 grain power belts aero tips in my 50 cal...have not had any exit and only had 2 that blew up like a granade that created small pieces of lead and copper inside the deer...all shots with the regular power belts were less then 50 yards and have had a few go about 30 yards from the shot and had a nice blood trail to follow, others were complete Drop in their tracks when hit!
1 hole in a deer will give a nice blood trail to follow, you do not need an exit hold to create a blood trail!

I use Ballistic Tips in my 243 for rifle season and have yet to have any of them exit a deer, 1 hole going in and MAJOR Damage inside and deer normally falls over 25 yards away,(only had 1 deer that did not leave a blood trail with the ballistic tips, due to bad shot placement, but deer was recovered 100 yards from the spot it was shot, took 4 hours to find it) I tell guys the insides look like someone inserted a Granade inside the deer and it explodes, pieces of bullet all thru the insides of the deer and MAJOR Trama/Damage to internal organs, the Power Belts and Ballistic Tips work almost the same...the ballistic tips either drop the deer like they were hit by a ton of bricks or they run maybe 25 yards...when they run, there is a good blood trail to follow, same as the Power Belts!

Why do you feel that if you do not have an exit hole that there will be no blood trail??

I used the platinum aero tips 3 years ago, just to try them out...shot 2 deer with them that year, 1 deer ran a good 100 yards before it fell over(double Lung shot with the platinum powerbelt lodging right under the hide but not punching completely thru), the other I hit square in the brisket like you said you shot your doe, that platinum aero tip went full length thru the deer and lodged in the hip bone and was the size of a half dollar when I cut it out while butchering...
I did not like how the platinums worked, So I went back to the Regular 295 grain aero tips!

·
Registered
893 Posts
nozzlehead said:
Ok, a few years back, I tried powerbelts for my 50cal muzzy. They shot well & grouped well. I have no complaints in that area. Come huntin' time, I shot a doe at approx. 75 yards. It was facing me & I drilled her right in the brisket. It dropped like a sack of potatos. When I opened her up, the bullet was in a 1,000 peices! Just totally disintergrated. I thought "I'll never use these again". I've alway been a pass through kind of guy. Now I think, "why? All the energy from that bullet disapated inside the animal. It worked perfectly". Or did it? What if she hadn't dropped? There would have been no blood trail. Partly due to shot placement. But what if I'd hit her broadside & didn't have a pass through. Would she have ran forever with no bloodtrail? So the question is, who's using PBs, what grain, original or platinum, aero tip or hollow point, which powder & how much, & finally, what kind of performance are you seeing on game? pass though or disintergation? Thanks
With regards to the 50 cal , 240 grain powerbelts , I swore off them a while back due to them blowing up practically on impact.
Normally this is referred to as "bullet failure"
For the price you pay , I am not real sure what you get.
I think they'd make an excellent ground hog bullet tho......
Switched back to maxiballs/hunters.
Cheaper and you don't have those problems.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
an over sized hollow point - soft lead - high velocity - close distance shot with any pure lead projectile normally spells limited penetration/fragmentation.

The Platinums have been re-designed with a much smaller hollow point to help this from happening. My favorite deer powerbelt is the 300gr Powerbelt Platinum.

I used to make custom inserts for the powerbelts but it was a lot of work. It was easier for me just to switch to the Platinum.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Years back I used them(aero tip)with no problems in a 50 H&R Huntsman.Don't worry about the HP's blowing up.I use HP's in all my centerfires and get no exit.Haven't lost one yet.All energy is absorbed.

Nothing is going to live with a hole in the heart or lungs.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I might try them this year, but really like maxi-hunters.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I've been using them for a long time, not sure how many deer. I know I've taken multiple with 245s in my renegade flint 1:48, all broadsidish pass throughs. I remember being very impressed as I was accustomed to 50 cal holes in and out using maxihunters and buffalo bullets followed by a very bloody trail from 50-150yd. The 245 pb left a massive exit and they were down right there or just a death rush.

Several years ago I changed to the Lyman GPH flint 1:32 and it does better with heavier weight. I've taken deer with the 295, 348, and 338 plat. Last year I had my longest shot at 193yd with a 338 plat, pass thru, looked like I got very little expansion, again a good blood trail in the snow but the deer went probably around 150yd.

All of the above were with 90gr T7 FFF. The downfall of the pb is velocity. My gph throws them out at about 1600-1700. At distance I get pretty good performance. I took a doe at a hard quartering away shot at 103yd. She turned and very slowly went about 10yd and laid down. I figured she would die quick, after a few minutes I walked up and at 10' put a forward angling shot in her lungs. The original went in thru the guts, really cut up the liver but was recovered short of going through the diaphragm accounting for the delayed death. The one in the lungs, as you say, was literally not to be found. I went back with a metal detector and found only slivers and shavings.

Here are a few that I did recover, from left, 295gr 1st shot from the doe above, 348 gr. straight on doe at 97yd, 338 platinum broadside elk through 1 shoulder, 338 platinum broadside elk behind shoulder at about 60yd.

Maybe when I get back in 2 weeks I can show the results of the pb 444 flatpoint on moose. I'm getting about 1335fps with them over the 90gr T7. I'll continue to use them in my flinters but I wouldn't use them in a fast in-line.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Never had a problem with them, I used to use the aerotips
but switched to the platinums last year. They both killed
the deer as quick as can be.

·
Registered
994 Posts
nozzlehead said:
I had a similar experience only the one I shot was broadside and did run. Never left a drop of blood, shot right through the shoulder. It ran 250 yds in a circle right back to me. I had time to reload and shoot it again in the chest right behind the shoulder, still no exit hole but it did dispatch the deer. I have never used them since or will I again. I know that lots of people love them but I will only have one bad experience with a product. There are way to many options out there. I shot my last deer with a hornady sst and it did a fine job.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Racin41 said:
not to blast you or anything , but if your a pass thru type of guy ,then why did you take the shot with her looking at you ??
I do a lot of hunting from treestands. So, I perfer a pass through shot. Think of the angle of impact/pass through. If I don't have an exit hole & it doesn't drop within sight, then the chest cavity can hold A WHOLE LOTTA BLOOD before it reaches the entrance hole to start leaving a blood trail. Now if I'm ground hunting, there is nothing wrong with a brisket shot, PROVIDING, your bullet is capable of doing the job. My point was,I was really surprised to see the way the bullet came apart that easy & if I would have not dropped her right there I don't know if I would have recovered her.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I totally understand were your coming from with the lack of a exit point and possible loss of the game ,personally I get upset with myself if I am small game hunting and loose a squirrel **just the way I was brought up** . personally maybe I take it too extremes for the ((Perfect Shot)) maybe thats the reason behind only ever taken 2 whitetails ,1 rifle and 1 archery and both where Does .
I have passed more times then i guess i should have but i just did not feel the right shot was there and therefore left the Bucks walk .
There again its the morels and values my late Father bestowed upon my brother and i when it came to hunting

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I see there are others that have had the same experiences with Powerbelts. Some people like a bullet that performs the way mine did. They like to have all the energy dispersed inside the animal. As I stated above, I do a lot of elevated hunting so I like that pass through shot. The last couple of deer that I have taken with a muzzy I have used 240gr XTP's & they have done both; passed through but disipated enough energy to really mess up the insides. But XTP's are for another post. As for the powerbelts, I may try the platinums this year during one of seasons to ssee how they work.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
nozzlehead,

All of my Hunting is from Tree Stands aswell (All Land Owners do not want us shooting firearms for deer from the ground) my stands are between 15-30 Feet up and what I posted is the results from those heights...

All the Deer I've hit with Both the 50 cal using power belts and the 243 using ballistic tips have had Blood Spray from the 1 hole wounds, I know a guy who hunts the 1 property I hunt, he uses a 243 (Doesn't hunt inline or Flinter) and he uses ballistic tips ( I use 95 Grain he uses 70 grain) with the Same exact Results I have had...The Blood is Sprayed all over the area but only to 1 side...When I shoot deer in early Muzzleoader Season, I sometimes walk past the blood trail, but once I find it, a blind man could follow it!

I personally would rather have a bullet expend all of it's energy into an animal and create Greater damage then to enter and exit and only create a smaller area of damage...

When you gutted that deer you spoke about, wasn't the bullet exploded all thru the deer and not just 1 central location?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It explode in the vitals. I mean it killed it dead! I had heart ala lung soup! I just wasn't used to a bullet doing that & NOT punching through.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
This discussion reminds me of a case about 45 years ago. Thursday morning of the first week of gun, Mill Creek bottom near Ridgway. Nobody left in the big woods. Brand new 10 inch snowfall.

A friend of mine shot a very nice 11 point while facing him at 100 yards.. 30-06, 180 grain. I don't remember specific manufacturer or bullet type.

When we looked for blood there was none.. nothing! Picked up the trail and went about 30 yards before I found a single strand of hair.. kept tracking the buck in the snow and found him piled up under a hemlock about 125 yards away. Plenty of blood where he went down, but nothing between where he was shot and where he fell.

When opened, the whole inside of the deer was just about jelly. The heart was completely disintegrated. The only hole in the deer was the small entrance hole at the base of the neck.

Taught me a lesson that day, never assume you missed and Shooting a deer head on is not a good choice. Even a 30-06 with an expanding bullet is not going to make it all the way through.

Best regards, Glenn

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glenn, you made a good point about following up after the shot! Since this is a little off the topic of Muzzleloaders, I'm going to repost this in the "BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM" under the heading of "TAKING THE SHOT". Lets see what others say about "shoot & don't shoot shots". This is going to be good!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts