The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swithing from maxi [censored] to either Power Belts or TCs Sabot any opinions would be appriciated also will i have to change my powder loads i was using 90 grains of 2f powder what should i use for either 245 grain copper power belts or 250 grain shock wave sabots
thank you

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Retiredusne8 said:
Why not stay with 90 gr 2f?
X2. 90 grains is a good starting load. You also didn't mention what gun you're shooting, what primers if any (flintlock) or what type of powder you're using. Either way, both bullets will work over 90 grains of almost FF anything. The lighter bullets may just love that powder charge and print the best groups, cuz that's what we're going for as ethical hunters right?...accuracy, not just oomph?...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
hofj52 said:
Im deffinitly am going for accuracy im shooting a Thomson Center Hawkin 50 cal flintlock with 4F primer
Then with the 1:48 twist on your rifle, you might be better suited to try the 295 grain hollow point power belts (the aero tips are designed to expand SLOWER than the hollow points) or the 385 grain great plains bullet. Tne 245 grain stuff might not give you the best accuray or efficiency. I'd also START at around 80-85 grains of powder. My Hakens LOVE 90 grains of FF under both of those bullets and will kill to 100 yards easily if you can shoot that well that is. Not a dig, but it takes PRACTICE with a flinter to become proficient with one...a lot more than most guys are willing to do.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
About those power belts ...there was some dicussion on here about thier preformance.. especialy the 245 aerotip. I shot 2 deer with my Omega this year using 100gr 777 and the above powerbelt. both were shot with in 50yds both in the mid shoulder area.. neither passed through. Although I did recover the deer,they did run off . while boning them out both bullets were recovered inside the chest cavity, both in tack and mushroomed well.. not sure if a heavier powerbelt would do better.. These 245's shoot great out of my Omega.. I might have to retool for next season with a heavier powerbelt.. Happy Holidays

·
Banned
900 Posts
I've been knock'em down with that 245 aero for a few years now. I'm not so worried about exit though. Numerous deer, a fallow deer, a boar and this year a Maine black bear with them. 90g 2 f 777 from a Lyman GPH flinter. I'm more concerned with the fatal damage caused internally than the pass through. My thought is massive damage internally is better than a hole on either side and minimal damage. That is what brought me to the PB's from the RB's. I did shoot the PB hollow points for a bit but found that penetration was an issue should it strike large bone upon entry. The aerotips seemd to remedy that.

They don't shoot for beans out of my Encore though. I'm shooting TC superglides with 250 spire points from it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Here is my two cents:

Check your barrrel twist first.

If its 1:48, sabots may not do well - they typically need a faster twist.

When I researched Power Belts, I found alot of negative comments on the 245 grain - aka wouned and non-recovered deer - seems it better to move up to the 295 or 348 grain.

80 grains of FFF is what I find works well. Keep in mind, a flintlock with a 1:48 barrel is not typically a long range weapon - it does best 100 yards and under. If you try to extend the range with more charge, accuracy is going to suffer with the 1:48 barrels.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
bloodhound said:
NiceRack! - I had the same results as you and decided to use a 348gr. powerbelt,and was I glad... I shot a doe with it and it run her over like a freight train... No tracking...

I'll check those out next year..
right now I'm ready for my flinter Renegade 50 cal 90 gr FF 375 Maxi Ball Right ON Brother!!!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Jester - Yes the 245's were like bruce lee sticking a hand grenade into the deers chest cavity, but I had 2 of them run over 50 yards with no blood trail... [all internal] I don't like tracking... I want them dead on site/drop in their tracks... 50 yards around here could mean you arguing with 2 or 3 other hunters on who killed it...

·
Banned
900 Posts
LOL!! It's all in what ya like. My bear went about 50yds with good blood trail but there wasn't a hunter within 10 miles of me in the northwoods of Maine!

Hopefully I'll never have the "no blood trail" issue. That's what I was getting with PRB's. I've always had good blood but that's not to say it does not happen. Ain't nothin a gar-un-teed when it comes to them flinters!

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
no such things as a magic bullet guys. Some animals hit with center fires don't bleed, even bow kills believe it or not.

You put a GOOD shot through the lungs or heart and in the lower portion so the blood flow starts faster,you will get a blood trail with any bullet out there, no matter if the bullet doesn't exit or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts