The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys been here? Thinking of going next week with a few buddies. Wanna hear about your expierence. I have never been to a preserve so I have a few questions. They are offering 10 birds for $200 and up to four hunters.

Do we get to actually see all 10 birds? We have no dogs and probably won't be getting a guide with a dog. Do they release it the day before we hunt or just before we hunt? Will they release all 10 birds in one field or will they spread them out on multiple fields? If we do get all 10 birds within our time slot are there any extra birds out there to shoot before our time is up? I know I can call to get answers but always forget to ask a few questions. Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
i was there 3 years ago, had a great time. i had plans to go back but I have been working 7 days a week since then.

you will be taken to your assigned area & then the birds are released. it should be a good sized area for you to hunt on. usually a lot of extra birds in all the areas.
good luck.

·
Banned
979 Posts
I'm organizing a group from work to go there soon, I have heard nothing but good things about this place including the restaurant there that non hunters go to to eat bc it's very good stuff.

·
Registered
706 Posts
It's decent for the price, I would not spend the money to go without a decent dog .. I'd Find someone with a dog, more than likely u will not c many without . good luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
You'll be able to see where they put your birds, but more than likely they'll move around during your hunt. you really should consider either going with someone with a hunting dog or getting a guide\dog.

most of the time I go there we find\get extra birds, as far as pay-to-shoot goes, the place is ok.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You will be very happy with your hunt. I guide for Rich & Mariann on occasion. The birds are very strong flyers this year. You should see all 10 and then some. I guided a hunt with a group on Monday that couldn't hit the side of a barn. They missed 7 of 11.

In their defense it was abit windy and once those birds catch the wind it's almost to late to hit them.

Also the cover is still very thick. Trying to hunt without a dog is not a good idea this early in the year. You'll walk past most of them. Come February it's much easier to hunt without a dog. The cover is trampled and the fields and weeds will all have gone brown.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Been there often enogh to say it will take you the full 3-4 hours to get your birds even with dog. The areas are well marked with flag tape and signs and have enough cover,hedgerows to make you work for them. With a dog you will probably get a few extra and without you may be a bird short. Keep the extra leg bands and use them another time you go. Full orange required,hunting license is not required. We pay the bird handler a few bucks to scatter them around instead of letting them go close together. They will also spin pluck afterwards for a couple $ each,worth it, go eat at the restaurant while you wait.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Will. So you work for Powderbourne? Also if you get more then the 10 birds you pay for, do you have to pay a extra fee for any additional bird?

·
Registered
695 Posts
while your heading there go early and have breakfast.Their bacon is outstanding.Overall first rate operation

·
Registered
49 Posts
They just hire the dog. She does all of the work...I go along for the walk.

Powderbourne does not charge extra for any birds you take above the 10 you paid for.

Good luck.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Have to have a dog, some of the fields with taller brush and thick thorns bushes are next to impossible without a capable dog.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got home from hunting there and 3 of us had a blast. We shot 11 birds but the 3rd guy was a rookie and ruined 1 bird shooting it in the body from close up so 10 birds. He shot at another while it was laying in the thick thorns from point blank range lol. We told him to aim for the head, was great bustin his balls on the ride home.

In total I saw 15 birds including the 11 we shot. The other 2 guys saw 6 cocks and 2 hens fighting in the open beyond the yellow sign which we can't shoot. And a few cocks on private property when we drove home.

All in all, it was a blast. We plan on going back in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Some blocks of land are very small. If your dog is not controllable, it will run over to another hunter's block and [censored] them off. They have very good prices. The owner can be grumpy. They smoke in the restaurant. It is about a 10 mile drive from the restaurant to the hunting parcels. Other than that, if you like hunting planted birds it is good. You can also opt to put the birds out yourself. That's my take….

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just reread the last post. He missed the bird at point blank range lol. We had no dogs and didn't see the owner. Signed in, had breakfast and paid everything to the waitress then was taken to the field.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts