The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason to use 2F instead of 3F in a .50 cal? I have normally used 90 grains of 3F in my .50 but almost everyone seems to recommend 2F.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
There's alot more 3F users than you think... it's all about what your gun likes and what it consistenly ignites.

I had 3 different 50 cals since I started shooting, 2 T/C Renegades and the Lyman Deerstalker I currently own.

The renegades wouldn't shoot 3F worth a hoot, but the deerstalker is the total opposite.

My T/C .54 caliber loves 2F... never tried 3F in it and don't plan to.

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1359376#Post1359376

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
In modern steel barrels 3F seems to work just fine in 54 cal flinters----it also works as good in the pan ---hence one powder to shoot and prime with.....Like Spirit said---shoot what works....If both work evenly as good for your needs then by all means save money and go with 3F

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I use 3f in My 50 cal T/C hawkins. 4f in the pan but last year in an emegency I had to use 3f in the pan to harvest a big doe in late season becasue my pencil malfunction.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Use what gives the tightest groups but be sure to try both.All my 50's like FFg except one.It likes 70 grs of FFFg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts