The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at bass pro sunday and there was only 3 bottles of powders left none of which I use and then of course the bulk bottle like AR comp. I was down a few weeks before and couldnt find any of the brands i wanted either has anyone else noticed this? Is there a reason behind it are ppl stocking up or am i just getting there when the shelves are bare before they restock? I would hate to have to order it online and pay the 25$ shipping fee

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
the local gun shops I go to have no problems with any powder at this time.

I was told the Vihtauori powders will be scarce due to a large price increase and
the distributors will not stock much of it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but what about primers. My buddy reloads for me and is having a hard time finding federal 210 rifle primers

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
When you reload you must buy powder,primers,bullets and cases for two years (minimum) in the future.I have over 5000 primers,1000's of bullets ,over 20 pounds of power and several 100 cases for the calibers I reload for.I also have lead to make my own bullets if needed.Looking when you need it is too late all too often.I don't know any shops in your area but if I were you and the original thread starter I would be making some calls.

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but what about primers. My buddy reloads for me and is having a hard time finding federal 210 rifle primers
Joe

If you need some let me know. I just passed on 2000. They may still be available.

·
Registered
555 Posts
You're shopping at the wrong place for components. I haven't gone looking for anything recently but when I do, Bass Pro is the last place I look. The price is typically high and the selection low. Three cans of powder is low even for them but I wouldn't ever jump to a shortage conclusion based on what is on their shelves. If you're buying a reasonable amount of powder, you could recover that hazmat fee easily. The last time I looked at powder there I seem to recall it was $37/pound. Other reasonably local shops sell as low as $21/pound.

A quick look at powder valley tells me there is no current shortage. There are a few powders unavailable. H4350 is currently unobtainium due to all of the Kool aid drinkers, I mean Creedmor shooters. I would suggest shopping elsewhere within driving distance or use an online retailer like powder valley.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Components of various kinds are hard to find because of supply and demand. Right now some Berger bullets are hard to find because they are moving into a new plant. Best local price and selection for components is Shydas.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Go to ACRI's in mechanicsburg. Its maybe 15 minutes from Bass Pro. Hes a top notch guy who runs a shop out of his basement. He never jacked up his prices during the shortage after newtown and he has probably every single kind of powder/primers you can think off.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Most places like Bass Pro, Cabelas and such are out of tune with a lot of things in reloading. They also don't stock a lot because they usually buy in large quantity. They could end up with some less popular powders that could sit forever on the shelf. As was said earlier, buy in quantity. Watch for deals too, sometimes you can buy and have shipped with the hazmat fee free or shipping free. I probably am stocked up enough for my grandkids to use when they are my age. I must have a real addiction!

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Maybe you should consider taking a supply run to Shyda's in Lebanon? They are well stocked, like in VERY WELL stocked in reloading supplies.

If Shyda's don't have what you want then try Richland Shooting Supply in Richland, PA. They are about 15 minutes north of Shyda's.

Reactions: jimsdad

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you're buying in bulk go to CAC in Ebensburg. Cash or check only they do not accept credit/Debit card. I would call before going just to make sure they have it, their website isn't always up to date. And it isn't really a retail store, they like people that know what they need, there really isn't much of a store front either, but, their warehouse is enormous, if you get the opportunity to go in, take advantage of it, reloading supplies like you've never seen before.

I'm sure you could buy 1 pounders of powder, primers by the 1000 and bullets by the hundred. I just alway get in bulk when i go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts