The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you Encore ML guys prefer Powder or pellets?

While I was shooting my Encore, I had two differant brand pellets. I also bought a can of 777 powder in the 2F size granules.

I like the powder over the pellets, because it is much cheaper that way. Also, I dont really see a differance in the field as far as speed to reload. (Since I do all my measuring in the house or camp.)

Whether I use pellets or powder, it is going in to a speed tube anyway.

Just wondered what you guys prefer.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Powder is what i prefer,,cheaper,can fine tune your loads, easily found,,,pellets can break and chip off,,,and there is a difference between the velocity of pellets and loose powder... I shoot SELECT,,no pellets in that form..

·
Registered
534 Posts
There is no question about it. Loose meadured powder gets you a much more consistent load. I shoot 777 loose powder and 200 gr Deadcenter sobots from my encore and it will touch holes all day long from 100 yards.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Powder since you can fine tune your ML..Even the DVD that comes with T/C inlines shows to start off with the pellets then to get it accurate use the loose powder..
However...the ML Encore even with two pellets and a 240 grain bullet shoot quite well for deer in our Pa woodlots.

I think that if I was going to hunt in fields...I just might try loose to get more accurate since your lethal shots with a T/C ML is out past 200 yards..

·
Registered
889 Posts
MZ mfrs. are trying to make things seem faster and easier for MZ shooters so they can sell more MZ's. And the powder mfrs. are very happy to chime in because they make so much more money on these pellets. They are appealing to new crowds and new buyers who think faster is better(youngins). They may only save a minute or two, but it is simpler and faster for them. Two pellets and a bullet!! How much easier or faster can you get??

Personally I am a serious shooter, and pellets will not do what I want to do. So I use loose powder. And I use BP only. I have sworn off the new substitutes. I have tried them all, and just do not care for them. I can do anything they can do with straight BP, and for a lot less money, so I can shoot alot more. That is how I see it.

Actually the biggest problem I have with the pellets is consistency. I seem to get more consistent SD's with bulk black than I do with pellets. I think alot of this has to do with proper loading, and creating the same pressure(volume) every time.

Burning cleaner is nice. But I normally swab between shots no matter what powder I am burning. So what is the big deal??

Step back and smell the black!! You will never go back!!
Tom.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Last October I was sitting in the deep woods with an Prohunter Encore 50 X 209 inline. Place was thick with vegatation.. I said to myself "this woodlot like this... All a person needs is one of those $139.00 CVA Wolf Magnum 209 with two pellets and 240 grain bullet'..I have one of those too and they are accurate up to 100 yards..
Anyway I do like the Prohunter inline of course. However all of that shooting at the range and then when you hunt in October all you need is something to shoot real close.. Now once the leaves drop and if you hunt with the inline during the regular deer season... That is when the Encore in line comes in handy...

I suppose what I am trying to say...Are we trying to shoot 200 yards and only use the inlines in October for anterless deer..Now if you do use it the rest of the season by all means use that loose powder and get it zero'd in for 200 yrd shots..

·
Registered
889 Posts
Personally in October for deer if I have an MZ I like to hunt the edges of White Oak. I normally set up 20-30 yards inside the woods line, so I can see out into a field, and back into the White Oak. And normally a mature White Oak woods is fairly open. And I also have the option of shooting into the field.

But then I have the option of hunting in some nice White Oak wood lots. And White Oak is definitely where I find the October deer. So where I hunt it is pretty open. Even with the leaves on.

Also my best place to hunt in MD for their early MZ season(for bucks) is a couple of really nice White Oak woodlots in creek bottoms between some huge alfalfa fields(my favorite place!!). And that area is definitely wide open, and the deer move through heavy. Tom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts