The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most widely used powder choice for in-lines.Pellets give less options as far as adjusting loads, but are easier to deal with.Is FFg or Pyrodex a better choice.I am shooting a .45 CVA.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I love Blackhorn 209. Very clean powder, last year I shot rifle 10x's before I cleaned it, didn't need to but felt I should! Try doing that with black powder, pyrodex or 777! Good luck in whatever you choose, they obviously all work.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Bluemoonfox said:
I love Blackhorn 209. Very clean powder, last year I shot rifle 10x's before I cleaned it, didn't need to but felt I should! Try doing that with black powder, pyrodex or 777! Good luck in whatever you choose, they obviously all work.
I like Blackhorn too. Just do your research on load data and no soap and water!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
My case of FFFg Goex still contains several cans of powder, and will most likely see me out of here. And, it smells so much better than inline powder.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yet another vote for Blackhorn 209, nothing else equals it. I can take the T/C to the range without cleaning equipment finally! Took 14 shots a few weeks ago because I had a new Leupold 2-7 to sight in and there was no loss of accuracy at 50 and 100 yards. Very little difference in loading effort from completely clean barrel all the way to the 14th shot. Stable shelf life too. Just remember the maximum load by volume that should be used is 120 grains, not 150 grains like other BP substitutes.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
Navigator said:
What problems are occurring with 777 pellets?
Sometimes they don`t burn completely and you have low powered shots and some have seen the pellets burning out the end of the barrel and drop on the ground. I have never tried them though. I heard this mostly happened when they were pushing 3 of them making 150 grains of powder. Not enough time to burn them all. Most people don`t use over 100 grains these days though, including myself.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I shoot 2 pellets of 777 out of my CVA Wolf and nary an issue. Former Prodex user and switched to 777. I always wait for Walmart to put out the pellets on clearance and stock up for the next season

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Blackhorn 209

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I use 3 pellets of Trip 7.Never had a problem however one of the guys had a problem after he sighted his in during a rainstorm.Pellets got wet and when he fired the bullet fell out the end of the gun.Pretty funny to watch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts