The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Goex so scarce this time of year, what are recommendations for alternative brands. I can generally find Pyrodex and Hogden Triple7. Recognizing that I will need to start fresh to fine tune a new load, I'm just interested in the wisdom and experience of the collective here.

I have a 50 Cal Lyman Deerstalker, and like the 250 Gr. Powerbelt Aerolite Bullet if that helps with recommendations.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'm a fan of the Swiss blk powder. Its a little harder to find than goex but it burns cleaner and I dont have to use quite as much

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
Butter vs margarine
Go the extra mile and get the real stuff.When you do get a couple cans so you have it.
The subs ignite at about 800-900 degrees and real blackpowder is around 300 degrees.
The subs also have a different corrosion than real blackpowder.Some say they burn cleaner but are more corrosive.
Some say blackpowder is dirtier but if you have a properly patched RB it burns clean.
Some put a little blackpowder down 1st and then the subs.Why not all blackpowder?
My recommendation is either Goex or Swiss real blackpowder for less headaches.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tend to prefer the real as well. So next question. Anyone know where I can get my hands on some in Harrisburg/Hershey area?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Dixon is close to you.
This. Dixons is not real far past Cabelas on I-78 to kutztown exit, then only a few miles off the highway. They are open Sundays 12-5 also. Saw a sign that they will be closed Jan 10-19 though when I was up last. When I get it I buy an extra pound. I store the opened cans in ziplock bags as an extra precaution but someone on here mentioned vacuum seal bagging the cans and I may try that for long-term storage. My old man has a can of 4f that was bought and opened for first time 16yrs ago and been opened once a year to fill his pan charger and the powders still good as new as far as ive seen.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Harrisburg Hunters & Anglers do woods walks starting a week from today, and I know they've done group bulk buys of Goex in the past. If you're not in a hurry, you'd get a chance to get some good practice by shooting with them and if I remember right, the per lb cost is quite attractive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
With BP subs, Pyrodex or T7 will be the most consistent.

American Pioneer - Jim Shockeys Gold - Black MZ are all the same powders. These powders generally provide good accuracy, however, its extremely bulky ( kitty litter size ) varies greatly in velocity from one shot to the next and is known to be found clumped up in the can while brand new. I've shot a ton of APP - JSG over the years and had great results with it in round ball guns, but with a 209 primer, they all leave a crud ring. The accuracy also greatly dropped off badly once shots of 150 yards were taken. Why? that inconsistent velocity spread.

Stick with Pyrodex or Triple 7 when it comes to sub black powders.

Pyrodex by far, has always been a highly reliable & accurate powder for me. When I can not shoot Goex, Pyrodex RS & P are always in stock and ready to go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
And white hots cost more, shoot slower and still give a crud ring. May as well stick with t7.

Black mz however is a spitting image to APP/ shockers gold. Shoot it over a chronograph.

·
Registered
40 Posts
And white hots cost more, shoot slower and still give a crud ring. May as well stick with t7.

Black mz however is a spitting image to APP/ shockers gold. Shoot it over a chronograph.
I don't care about chronograph comparisons. Top Bullet speeds are not my cup-of-tea. I also don't care what White Hots cost, since I don't use them.

I have never experienced slow bullets or crud rings using Blue MZ . My paper targets show the same vertical levels as my Goex powder. As a matter of fact, you are the only one complaining about the black and blue powders. Most-all of the reviews have been favorable.

Go get your equipment checked / rechecked.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You should care about chronograph results, they tell you how crap your accuracy will be due to the powder being inconsistent. That's a very uneducated thing to say about a chronograph.

Hardly anyone uses black mz. Why? Because of poor results.

My equipment is in check. Go buy some equipment of your own so you can have some actual knowledge of what you are talking about. You have a habit of saying things with nothing to back up what you say.

I've shot black mz, accuracy test were good out to 100 yards. Less accurate than pyrodex, still got a crud ring. Inconsistent velocity. Easy clean up like American pioneer, because it is the same powder.

With all your known data, show me who actually makes the black mz and Alliant blue mz powder. Msds?

·
Registered
117 Posts
New for 2011, Alliant introduces its “Black MZ.” Made by American Pioneer for Alliant, it is vastly improved in consistency by Alliant's “test every lot” quality control. This product, like Pyrodex, is essentially a blackpowder performance equivalent. The stated benefits are better moisture resistance than Pyrodex, Triple Se7en, and so forth. It is also has better, easier ignition, so it can be used in all muzzleloaders with the exception of as a pan-powder in flintlocks, as far as I know. I believe that means percussion blackpowder handguns as well. Expect a full review of Alliant Black MZ in the near future.

·
Registered
40 Posts
New for 2011, Alliant introduces its “Black MZ.” Made by American Pioneer for Alliant, it is vastly improved in consistency by Alliant's “test every lot” quality control. This product, like Pyrodex, is essentially a blackpowder performance equivalent. The stated benefits are better moisture resistance than Pyrodex, Triple Se7en, and so forth. It is also has better, easier ignition, so it can be used in all muzzleloaders with the exception of as a pan-powder in flintlocks, as far as I know. I believe that means percussion blackpowder handguns as well. Expect a full review of Alliant Black MZ in the near future.
Alliant MZ is not American Pioneer.
It's closely resembles (almost virtually identical in pellets) to White Hots

Lots have happened / changed since 2011. Even a fire at Alliant - plus even a new USA President since then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts