The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
None seen in 4B which i am not surprised. Havent seen a poult in 2 years. Seen 2 hens in freshly cut field this morning. No little ones with them. Got 2 hens on 1 camera and 1 hen on another camera on different properties pretty regularly. No poults with them either.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
It is still early. Many poults aren't even going to be hatching out until July and then more in August.

I saw a batch of either grouse or pheasant chicks today. I almost ran over them with the tractor in a food plot today while broadcasting fertilizer. I caught the hen moving into the high grass right by the right front tire. She was out of my sight before I figured out if it was a grouse or hen pheasant. There must have been eight to ten chicks scurrying off after her. Thankfully I saw them and got stopped before I ran over any of them.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
2 Hens sitting nests currently at my place. One will hatch about the 3rd of July and one June 30thish. Second clutch for one of them. 13 were saved from first hatch of 14. I was going to let her try to raise them through the cool downpours happening at time of hatching. I don't believe they could have survived the prolonged wet chill they would have been exposed to. Poults are fragile.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
None yet in 2A. See two hens everyday but no poults. Weather has been nice this year compared to previous years. Hoping for the best.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I haven't seen any yet. I did see a hen on nest the 1st day of the season. I put a trailcam on it. what I got on it was a Fisher raiding the nest. I've gotten multiple hens on cams and no poults. Last night we went for a ride and we saw 8 hens. 1 single one that could have a nest, but a group of 3 and a group of 4.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
In SE Ohio I have seen several hens with poults. All hens there had at least 8-10 poults. Seen 1 hen here yesterday that had a bunch of little ones in tow as well. Problem is here is the hay isn't cut yet so hard enough to see the hen let alone see the poults.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Seen another hen tonight in 2A. She had at least 6 poults, but they were along the edge of the mowed grass and there may have been more.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I saw a hen with several poults this week on the outskirts of conneaut Ohio.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Saw 4 hens this morning in.....northern 2D I guess.

ZERO peeps. They were in a mowed yard so nowhere anywhere in the vacinaty to hide.

Can't say I'm surprised with this weather. Cold and wet. Even a couple nights ago was below 40 up here.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have been keeping an eye on the pics from my cellular trail cams to see if poults are following the hens on our place, but nada so far. Hopefully, they show up soon. We've got a good hen population, but I saw very few Jakes on the cams this year and zero while afield there. This hatch will be incredibly important for the future accordingly.

As an aside, the coolest "poults" I ever saw were sage grouse babies while fly fishing in Wyoming. I pulled up to a prospective fishing spot an noticed a sage grouse hen in the nearby flat. All of a sudden, her tiny babies took flight to escape me, which was surprising to see. They were quite a contrast size-wise to their pretty big momma, and I had no clue they could fly for as small as they were.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm in 4c I had a hen nesting close to my house she has 10-12 poults yesterday I seen 2 hens no poults and 3 hens with about 20-25 poults.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts