The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
For poults to be that small on July 16th those are renests without question, they are a couple of days old and don't even have much of any primary feathers...with this hot and fry weather they should be fine if they can stay off something's dinner plate ??

·
Super Moderator
14,702 Posts
I think some of you might find this interesting and perhaps a bit eye opening.
There seems to be a lot of concern about people seeing hens without poults and small broods. That is perfectly normal but also varies greatly from year to year.
Over the years of my career every WCO kept a count of all turkeys, both adult and juvenile, that they saw during the months of June, July and August. We then submitted a report each month along with the daylight miles we had driven. The following is a summary of my turkey sightings over the ten year period of 2002 – 2011 before I retired.

I am just going to show the totals for the three months then the totals and average number of poults per adult turkey for the ten year period. You have to keep in mind though that the adults are both hens and adult gobblers so it is hard to put a poults per adult hen value to it.

Year………………..Adults……………………Poults………………..poults/adult
2002……………….46…………………………..44………………………..0.96
2003……………….58…………………………..152………………………2.62
2004………………..60………………………….116……………………….1.93
2005………………..90…………………………..70…………………………0.78
2006……………….144…………………………234………………………..1.63
2007………………..45…………………………..96…………………………2.13
2008………………..85…………………………..132……………………….1.55
2009………………..142………………………..176………………………..1.24
2010………………..111………………………..286………………………..2.58
2011…………………87………………………….168………………………..1.93

Ten year averages by month:
Month………………Adults………………….Poults…………………….poults/adult
June…………………..203……………………..275…………………………..1.35
July…………………….272……………………..563…………………………..2.07
August……………….393………………………646…………………………..1.64

As you can see it isn’t at all unusual to see adult turkeys, including hens, without poults and never has been. It is also perfectly normal to see later broods as evidenced by the number of poults increases through both July and August compared to what are seen in June.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Premium Member
24,247 Posts
R S B,

How early do you think poults hatched this year? By the time our season in 4D got into the second week it was over. Never heard a gobble the rest of the season. The reason I'm asking is I have hens on my trail camera but no little ones. But I did notice one of them had their fan out and I saw the middle feathers were higher than the rest making me believe they were young ones and hatched early because they are as big as the hen.

·
Super Moderator
14,702 Posts
Moss said:
R S B,

How early do you think poults hatched this year? By the time our season in 4D got into the second week it was over. Never heard a gobble the rest of the season. The reason I'm asking is I have hens on my trail camera but no little ones. But I did notice one of them had their fan out and I saw the middle feathers were higher than the rest making me believe they were young ones and hatched early because they are as big as the hen.
I don't know about your area but what I saw around here would indicate everything was perfectly normal again this year. I started seeing and hearing about poults in late May and it seems that a lot of hens are still hatching with some of the broods being just recently hatched. That is all perfectly normal.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Saw 4 hens with about 30 chicken sized poults the other day. I haven't seen a brood like that in quite a few years.

We used to see flocks of 100-150 birds pretty regularly around here. Now 20 seems to be the average flock size in the fall.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
While on a fur scouting run, saw some poults yesterday. 4 hens with 18 young ones that were growing nicely.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I'm in to wildlife photography and in Bedford county I can say they are in good shape. So many times I can get them due to crossing road in to high grass then gone. Now since things are cut I am getting good pics but they are pretty good size. That is a plus thing one way meaning they are making it. I like getting shots of them at a small stage though. I can say Bedford county is in good shape for turkeys, I spend enough time beating the roads looking for them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.