The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Sunflowers are like candy to a deer. Kinda points to the number of deer that you have if you can get them to grow like that.

Looks great!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far, they aren't hitting it much at all. They seem to not hit the sunflowers until they start to flower. Not sure if it's the smell or what not, but that seems to be the case.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a camera on it the last two weeks. Had one doe and tons of bears. I'm starting to believe the bears a becoming a problem in that area, in terms of fawn recruitment and just general habitat for the deer. There is no way deer want to stay in that area when there are 5-6 differnt bears walking around at all times, IMO.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
archeryman32 said:
So far, they aren't hitting it much at all. They seem to not hit the sunflowers until they start to flower. Not sure if it's the smell or what not, but that seems to be the case.
I was on a game land tour the other year where sunflowers had been planted in a plot. Only place there were sunflowers was in the exclusion cage.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Looks great! They'll show up, its a good thing that they aren't there now. Let it grow. Hopefully you get some apples as well and you'll have a honey hole.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Plots looking good!

I have err I mean I had some homegrown Sunflowers I started from seed this year. We replanted them up the cabin 2 weeks ago, they didn't even make a week. HAD 15 plants each about 12" high.
Gone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts