The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm starting a timeline of my plotwork in Potter. Here are pics from Week 1 and 2.

Week 1 - This is the second tilling of the year. Turned it over when we had nice weather in early spring. Hit it again to soften it up. Best soil I've had since I started it. Biologic soil test came up with 6.5 PH and all nutrient levels at optimal or just below optimal.

Before we started.

Ripping it up

Putting down the seed. Used a mix of clover and sunflower. An odd mix, but I think it will be killer.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are from Sunday, a week after planting. Everthing is poking through!

Kira is happy with the results too

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I see in your one pic that a tent caterpiller is eyeing up those sunflowers already.

For on a hillside in Potter, that does look like some nice soil.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was just doing clover in this plot but a friend of mine gave me 100 pounds of sunflower seeds for free. I had sunflowers last year, and the deer pounded them, so I threw them in as well. More than likely, I'll till most of this plot in again this fall and plant a turnip/rape mix.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
what kind of clover did you put down? you might not have to till again if you want to put down a brassica mix. They can go in without another till. By then, the sunflowers might be pounded to the ground and if not they soon would be so it would work. Great plot and definitily keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Plot looks good. I can't wait t0 get to Potter this weekend to disc my plot and see how the spray worked..

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shady said:
what kind of clover did you put down? you might not have to till again if you want to put down a brassica mix. They can go in without another till. By then, the sunflowers might be pounded to the ground and if not they soon would be so it would work. Great plot and definitily keep us posted.
It was just the Biologic perennial mix. Believe it or not, deer up here dont seem too interested in the clover. I never planted alot of it though in the past, and didn't have trail cams over it either. I'll see how they like it and if they go for it, I'll just overseed the brassica after I give it a cut.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eh, wont be the first time guys have walked through 2 sets of posted signs to get to my property

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure what you mean but I'm not too worried about it. The whole one side of the powerline is posted. Just because it's a right of way, doesn't mean it's a free for all. Still owned by the landowner and still posted.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Eyehoytem must have me blocked, can't see his posts.lol The plot looks awesome again this year man. I can't believe you guys dug out all those tree stumps by hand. Hopefully the hard work pays off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts