The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be having our annual Susquehannock State Forest Habitat Tour on Sunday April 28th from 9am. to 2pm. This year tour will be in the Cross Fork area. We will be gathering at the DCNR office in Cross Fork for a brief introduction and then traveling by bus to several locations. The office is located next door to the fire hall. Topics for this years tour includes a local insect and disease update (hemlock woolly adelgid site visit and gypsy moth spray program update), DCNR timber management program and timbersale site visit, overview of DCNR habitat data collection,analysis and DMAP program, update of local white-tailed deer and habitat research going on in the district, timber rattlesnake research and ecology, and habitat improvement projects going on in the district.

The tour is free of charge. Transportation (bus) and lunch will be provided. To register for the tour email [email protected] or call 814-274-3600. Registration deadline is April 26th. This year we have presenters from DCNR, Pa Game Commission, Black Forest Conservation Association and The Nature Conservancy. Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Sounds like another good event!! Good luck with it!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would be great if you could make it again. Bring the boys along.

We will be in RB's old stomping grounds.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
STAY OFF MY LAWN....
LOL

I have not been up there since March of 2012 sadly, the other guys are there alot I'll let them know.

Wish i could make it as always, but if i do it would be last minute game time decision being it is only two weeks away at this point...so I'll just follow the bus around and bring my own lunch , and tell old time hunting stories to my kids as we pass the old haunts. LOL ...don't go making it too famous up there now
Say Hi to my Pap if you would, he still roams around there i figure, might want to explain the fences on top of mountians to him too, he never did understand those he was pretty old school. He shot his very last buck (a fat 8 point to boot) on a little top that is now surrounded by fence and dozer trails. Least last time I was there roaming free.

I may have to do a "spirit of the hunt" tour up there someday for my buds here at HPA...might not learn much about the habitat but I bet you will go away feeling pretty good about our PA hunting heritage that was and the common ground it has instilled in us all.

Anyway..best of luck with it Troy.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a quick reminder of next Sunday's tour. If your going to be in the area turkey hunting or fishing stop on by. We have a good group of presenters and topics. Feel free to bring the kids along also. Hope to see you there. For those coming up turkey hunting, looks like we are going to have a good year. Seeing and hearing plenty the past week or so.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Well, looks like we are going up the weekend after this...so leaves us markers to where you see the deer sign.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Sounds great!! Hope you have a good crowd and great weather!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Hey, How did the tour go?? Anyone get any pics or have any comments?

How about doing another the weekend of the 18th

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tour went really well. We had about 40 members of the public on the tour and thankfully the weather again cooperated. I was surprised this year at the number of younger adults that attended, that was encouraging. I thought we visited some interesting sites and had some very good discussions. Good mix of locals, those up at camp and some that traveled quite a distance. I do have several pics from the tour on my computer at work and will post some early this week. Talked to a couple of the guys there on the tour that got gobblers on Saturday, most seemed to at least have some action.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Very nice!! Can't wait to see some of the pictures. My Father in Law and I went to the one a few years back and had a good time. Very informative. I'm glad to see the DCNR do this.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Fixed it for ya

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I did not know they were giving away red lab puppies or I may of made more of an effort to get over to camp that weekend...:) BTW, that is an Incredible picture.

Troy is that the clearcut near the trestle and pipeline? Pic taken from the gate? If so, I am not sure I ever told you but a few years ago I walked that road on a Sunday morning after hunting the EML opener on Saturday, and saw 5 1.5 year old bucks on that road that goes back there about 200 yards and ends. One was laying right in the grass, you could smell the stink of the rut a little.

I wondered if someone stunk up the area the day before while bowhunting there, and now are these young bucks were waiting around for her to return as it look like they made about 4 scrapes on that short peice of grassy road.

Anyway, GREAT pics! Someday when weekends are my own, I will be on that bus, keep it up!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Ghost!

No, actually the pic of the bus is behind the heater at the intersection of big springs and twelve mile. Road goes through middle of the sale, was fenced up until this year. The larger timber in the background is the buffer strip between the two clearcut areas.

I do know what haul road you are referencing though, kind of parallels the pipeline towards a woven wire fence. Goes through a clearcut of about 8 yrs old?? About 5 yrs ago I had 4 beautiful buck cross the road in front of me at daybreak just below that haul road. I believe it was in late July.

I can understand, priorities shift and our lives take a back seat to the young ones. I do look forward to the days of having those free weekends and evenings also, but odds are we will probably miss these days then:) Take Care

1 - 16 of 16 Posts