The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasnt really expecting much, but i potted a few chestnuts, and two of them have sprouted.





So now my question is, now what? Do i repot in a bigger pot? I plan on taking them up to the mountains and planting there, but that wont be until fall or even winter depending on the best time to do it. They seem to be growing quickly, and I dont want to outgrow the pot and ruin them. Also, one of the seedlings has 3 sprouts. Should I prune them so there is only one sprout?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
Unless you plan on transplanting them into a root pruning pot I'd get them in their final resting place as soon as possible. This time of year is fine for planting seedlings as long as there's rain in the forecast for the next week or two. Plant, tube, and be done with em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
drewmorton said:
I wish I could. Wont be able to make it up to the mountains until probably august, unfortunately.
If that is the case, move them to a deep pot where the tap root can grow 12" or more.
It is not necessary to prune the one with 2 or 3 stems but you can if you wish.
They do not need a lot of water. If you keep them outside where they get rain, that will work until we have a dry spell at which point you may need supplemental watering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
I agree with everything above but if you are keeping them outside make sure you keep them protected as squirrels will destroy them quickly to get the nuts that are still attached. I lost about 15 last year to squirrels
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,162 Posts
How deep did you plant them?
Were they the trees first year for chestnuts or was this the second year.
I was told the first year's chestnuts were not good for planting. The tree would not be good as compaired to a second year chesnut tree.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
crash said:
I agree with everything above but if you are keeping them outside make sure you keep them protected as squirrels will destroy them quickly to get the nuts that are still attached. I lost about 15 last year to squirrels
You cut the nut off after the first growth flush. Problem solved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
Pa-Guy said:
How deep did you plant them?
Were they the trees first year for chestnuts or was this the second year.
I was told the first year's chestnuts were not good for planting. The tree would not be good as compaired to a second year chesnut tree.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The sooner you get chestnuts or any plant with a long tap root planted the better off you'll be in the long run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These nuts were from a mature chinese chestnut tree. I figure that the best I can do at this point is to repot them in a bigger pot, hope for the best, and plant them when I get a chance to go up the cabin in the late summer or early fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
You put them in 5gal.buckets drill holes in the bucket. Bury them in the ground and watch grow for a couple years.
I then use a saw zall and cut down the sides. To get the roots and dirt out. But I was able to get all the buckets I wanted for free. Done this with apple and pear seedlings. Also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
drewmorton said:
These nuts were from a mature chinese chestnut tree. I figure that the best I can do at this point is to repot them in a bigger pot, hope for the best, and plant them when I get a chance to go up the cabin in the late summer or early fall.
No worries. If there's any sign of root circling when you go to plant them just prune off any of the roots that don't appear to look like natural growth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,162 Posts
BassBlaster said:
Pa-Guy said:
How deep did you plant them?
Were they the trees first year for chestnuts or was this the second year.
I was told the first year's chestnuts were not good for planting. The tree would not be good as compaired to a second year chesnut tree.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The sooner you get chestnuts or any plant with a long tap root planted the better off you'll be in the long run.
BassBlaster. My information came right from the "horse's mouth!"
CHESTNUT HILL NURSERY & ORCHARDS
Alachua, FL 32615
So I think my information is worth listening to.This is thee source of Chestnut Trees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
Chestnut Hill is an excellent source if you want to buy expensive chestnut seedlings. They'll sell you a 1 year old seedling for $25 or a 2yr old seedling for $35.

If you are growing from seed yourself, you are better off getting it to the final location if you can water it some to get it started and protect it from browsing.

Unless you are going to really push growth with fertilizer and root pruning pots, I think you are better off direct seeding if you can. I direct seeded a bunch of germinated chestnut seeds a couple weeks before last frost. Some are taller than the 18" tubes already and I know they have good taproots. I need to get 4ft tubes on them ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
I bought a box of 18" plastic extruded mesh tubes from Ben Meadows a few years ago for about 30 cents a piece. I slip one over the top of my 48" or 54" tubes to get a bit more protection. I'm not 100% sold on tubing chestnuts but haven't taken the time to cage or fence instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
Pa-Guy said:
BassBlaster said:
Pa-Guy said:
How deep did you plant them?
Were they the trees first year for chestnuts or was this the second year.
I was told the first year's chestnuts were not good for planting. The tree would not be good as compaired to a second year chesnut tree.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The sooner you get chestnuts or any plant with a long tap root planted the better off you'll be in the long run.
BassBlaster. My information came right from the "horse's mouth!"
CHESTNUT HILL NURSERY & ORCHARDS
Alachua, FL 32615
So I think my information is worth listening to.This is thee source of Chestnut Trees.
Info from a company with no other interest aside from selling you overpriced trees? No thanks. I'll stick to the knowledge I've acquired first hand by growing hundreds of trees from nut/seed each year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
I've had much higher survival rates with chestnut hill trees then the 2 other nurseries I used, so much cheaper per unit of tree that survived. Planted in the same area with the same protocol. Chestnut Hill 100% so far, the other 2 nurseries 10%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
LONZO said:
I've had much higher survival rates with chestnut hill trees then the 2 other nurseries I used, so much cheaper per unit of tree that survived. Planted in the same area with the same protocol. Chestnut Hill 100% so far, the other 2 nurseries 10%.
I am glad you are having good success. Unfortunately, my results have been the opposite. I have 100% survival on hybrid seedlings originally started/grown within pa and Ohio. I have about 40% survival from chestnut hill dunstans. I took great effort to prepare/plant the dunstans. The ones that have made it a couple years still see a good amount of winter dieback.

I believe part of the problem is that my climate is just too different from chestnut hills Florida climate. For example, the closest town to be is supposed to bottom out at 39 degrees tonight. I may see 36,..depends on a couple factors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
I hope you have better luck than I had. I sprouted 15 and had them outside in pots. The first day out a squirrel came and dug them all up and ate the root and nut.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top