The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do with a coyote after you shoot them? Obviously, you don't eat them, and I have yet to see a coyote foot lamp, although I think it would look great next to my deer foot lamp. BTW... my bride of many years does not agree and would rather I have neither lamp.

In my youth and into my early 30's I hunted quite extensively, but life got busy, and hunting was the first thing to go. Now at 60, my bucket list includes a free range buffalo hunt and coyotes. I thoroughly enjoyed dispatching woodchucks for local farmers and think coyotes would be the next level.

Any information would be appreciated as now that I am part of a collective (married with children), I need to convince my Chief Financial Officer and wife why I need to devote time to the coyote elimination effort.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Took the tail of my first kill, deboned it, flea and tick dipped it, washed it out and tacked it on a board that is hanging in my garage\work space. The carcass went into the garbage can and off to the dump. (Note: Coyotes really stink. When I tossed this carcass I double bagged it in heavy plastic. That "stink" stayed with that garbage can. After two weeks I powerwashed the garbage can. It still had the stink....but much less. I gave it one month for the stink to naturally disappear or the garbage can was getting tossed. The stink ultimately went away.)

I've watched, what I think is two separate packs drive off the doe....and thus the bucks..from the property I hunt.

Those dogs are pretty smart and if they know they are the target of your rifle barrel, they will move on. They are here to stay for sure....but keeping the population down is key to keeping the turkey, fox, and deer population in a proper balance.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
And for those who don't believe a pack of coyotes will not hunt deer....here's a series of pics from my trail cam of just such an event. I'll try to post these in the time order as this occured only over a few minutes:

First.....this deer goes by the camera:

Then this blur of a whitetail

Next is this coyote...

Followed by a black (I think pack leader) and his buddy...

And this smart doe who at first...ran to the left to escape the pursuit....then (I think) made a right up the hill to the safety of houses....then circled back down the path to see if the coyotes had now went down the long path to the big woods nearby....

And she figured all was now safe

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
My late Father spent two years in Okinawa after WW2. (Navy guy) When I was a kid I recall him coming home as my Mom was cooking dinner and on occasion he would say "What's for dinner? Brown dog Skiaki?" To which my Mom would reply "Yuk....that's not what this is".

It wasn't until years later when we (my sister and I) discovered my Dad could speak Japanese with fairly good consistency. He always said "If you wanna eat...you'll learn the language".

Wasn't until many years later I put 2+2 together when I "discovered" that dog is an acceptable meat in Japan.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I went to college in Rochester NY and there were a great many international students in the apartment complex I lived in. My room mate and I were on the elevator and there was a sign for a lost cat taped to the wall. When we reached our floor and the door opened the smell of some foreign cooks creation was very evident in the hall way, it wasn't pizza, wasn't apple pie, but it was strong. My room mate said "Somebody found that poor lost cat."

·
Registered
17,777 Posts
I have a full body mount of the black one in my avatar and I did get a trappers pelt made of another nicely furred one I got. Others get put on the bone pile.

·
Super Moderator
2,666 Posts
What do you do with a coyote after you shoot them?...
Doesn't sound like you'll be into high volume numbers so there are a number of things you can do with individual hides. Tanned hides to display (either case skinned or uncased) are inexpensive and they are pretty if prime. You can have a number of things manufactured, a single coyote gets a hat of several different types, mittens. The best I think is teddy bears for young kids. When the kids were young, 40 yrs ago, I had a red fox (daughter) and a gray fox (son) teddy bear made. Thinking of doing the same now for 4 grandchildren.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went to college in Rochester NY and there were a great many international students in the apartment complex I lived in. My room mate and I were on the elevator and there was a sign for a lost cat taped to the wall. When we reached our floor and the door opened the smell of some foreign cooks creation was very evident in the hall way, it wasn't pizza, wasn't apple pie, but it was strong. My room mate said "Somebody found that poor lost cat."
I grew up in the Army, and found my way in the Navy. Overseas, I have eaten dog, cat, horse, snake, boar, monkey and what was referred to as "meat" in the Philippines. When I inquired further as to what type of meat, the waiter responded "meat". For all I know, it was a transient that was just passing through, but It was good though.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts