The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok a long passed farmer I grew next to told me this 30+ yrs ago. He had said to grow potatoes in peat moss.Now this is not for large production.He had said they grew larger than growing them in dirt...Now I have thought about this since hearing it...Really thinking of trying it this year finally... What are your thoughts on this.Old farmers wise tale or some fact behind it

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I would say the rodents and other larger animals have easy access to them also you can grow them under straw,myself i never tried either way but i do grow them under ground and the one year i got 5 two pounders plus many one pounders.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I can see where the potatoes might get larger because they would be in soft material and it would be easy to pull back the material to harvest, however I agree with the above post regarding rodent damage. In 1975 a friend told me he simply makes a trench and puts in his potato sets and covers the trench with hay. He said they got big and were easy to harvest. I tried it. I got very nice big, clean potatos but I lost half of them to mice and voles. I would pick out a nice spud and when I had it in my hand the bottom half was gone, chewed off by mice. More work with soil, gotta hoe up the dirt etc, but the critters won't eat them.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I was turning over my compost heap last year and to my surprise I uncovered about a dozen softball size 'taters. Think I may try planting some seed potatoes in the heap this year.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I heard a way to grow potatoes above ground, in tires. I was going to try it this year, but I'm a little late with the weather. You take a tire, lay it on the ground, fill with dirt or sand and plant 2-3 seed taters. As the plants grow, add another tire and more soil, until you have a stack of 4 or 5 tires/dirt. The new potatoes grow from the seed potato UP. Simply knock off the tires and harvest at the end of the season. I read you can get up to 30 pounds of taters in one stack of tires with 2-3 seeds.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
bownut said:
I heard a way to grow potatoes above ground, in tires. I was going to try it this year, but I'm a little late with the weather. You take a tire, lay it on the ground, fill with dirt or sand and plant 2-3 seed taters. As the plants grow, add another tire and more soil, until you have a stack of 4 or 5 tires/dirt. The new potatoes grow from the seed potato UP. Simply knock off the tires and harvest at the end of the season. I read you can get up to 30 pounds of taters in one stack of tires with 2-3 seeds.
That does work!

I and a Buddy of mine have done that, I used 4 tires, my buddy had 10 or more stacked up..

1 draw back, you need to Water then MAJORLY even before it gets to the point where the fields are drying out, the sun beating down on those black tires,dries the dirt out majorly!

put a hose ontop and let it run till you see it seeping out the bottom!

your not to late to do that this year,there is still plenty of time to get them planted!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have also stated that you grow them in a trash can with drain holes in the bottom...Sounds like it possible

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
diger1733 said:
I should have also stated that you grow them in a trash can with drain holes in the bottom...Sounds like it possible
I've heard of the Trash Can deal with sweet potatoes but never regular potatoes...

I only did the Tires...Tried sweet potatoes 1 time with the straw, my Buddy's Brother grows his sweet potatoes in straw, lays paper down and wets it then lays the sweet potatoe shoots ontop of the wet paper and a little horse/cow manure along them (Not over top them) and then covers with the Straw...

I planted sweet potatoes like that 1 year, I had the rabbits and deer push the straw away and eat all the sweet potatoes shoots before they could grow any sweet potatoes on them, ended my trying to grow sweet potatoes, I get sick of feeding the rabbits, deer and coon all summer long and now try to only grow what they don't like to eat, which is a pretty SMALL LIST!

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Woody was it green manure or composted manure? I have access to an abundance of green manure but I thought it would be too hot to grow potatoes in... I'm new to the potato thing I have my seed in the ground but we'll see how they turn in the end of the season.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Falcon Four said:
Woody was it green manure or composted manure? I have access to an abundance of green manure but I thought it would be too hot to grow potatoes in... I'm new to the potato thing I have my seed in the ground but we'll see how they turn in the end of the season.
It was Manure that sat on a pile unturned from a winter (December to February) dumping and then used that spring....

I've used what you call "Green Manure" around many different plants and mixed it in the Tires where I've grown regular potatoes, I do NOT put it right up against the plants and have had no problem, in the tires, the manure is mixed with Dirt then placed in the tires and it is not an Huge Amount, maybe a 5 gallon bucket full of "Green Manure" to how ever much dirt it takes to fill up a tire for planting the potatoes.....

The Sweet Potatoe Deal with the news paper has the manure placed along side in a line on each side of the paper and the sweet potatoes shoots are placed in the middle, not touching the shoots and then covered over with straw...most likely after rain or watering, it causes the manure to be lessened in its harsh "Hot" Factor and leachs the needed chemicals into the news paper and straw and ground under the news paper (I'm not exactly sure on that, do not understand the working of manur going from "Hot" to "Not Hot")

He grows some pretty Big Sweet Potaoes the way he grows them!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I planted Yukon Gold seed potatoes on Saint Pat's day, but they aren't showing. SHould they be? Did I plant them too deep?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I would carefully dig down by hand to see if you can find some shoots coming up,if the ground is real wet they can rot easily.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is what I'm thinking, all this rain and cool weather, good chance he will have to replant.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I put red skin in 3/1 and they are about 12-15" tall and russets in around 4/1 and they are about 4-6" tall now. I'm in Berks Co. I would think you should have seen something by now.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I thought I would be smart and get mine in early (middle of March),they never did come up,with all the rain I`m sure they rotted.I picked up more and as soon as the ground drys I`ll re plant them.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Have any of you Tried this....

Take the seed potaotes and cut them so 1 eye is on each piece, then set them in a warm place to get the eyes to start growing??

We sat at the farm 3 years ago in the spring and took potatoes from the fall and plucked the eye shoots off them so my Buddy and his wife could use them for eating...

I took a bunch of those eye sprouts and went to the 1 manure pile we were not going to use and just put those eye shoots down in maybe 4 inchs into the manure pile...you should have seen the potatoes we dug out of there in late August, I put them in the manure pile in the middle of April and they grew pretty good all summer long and never dropped over till the beginning of August!

I have never seen anyone do the cut the seed potatoes and then let the eyes sprout Real good before planting, they always just cut the seed potatoes and into the ground the day after cutting them!

1 would think if the eyes were allowed to grow a little more after cutting, there would be less rotting in the soil when someone wants to plant Very Eary!?!? They do the Sweet Potatoes pretty much that way, get shoots started off a sweet potatoe then when they the shoots have a set of leaves, they plant them, seems it would work better for regular potatoes if it was done that way!

I still feel that March and the beginning of April in the <u>majority</u> of PA is far to eary to plant potatoes, they pretty much either sit there and grow very little or end up rotting in the ground!

My Buddy who has the Farm just mentioned last week that he thinks he will have to replant potatoes, he felt he jumped the gun so to speak from others saying how they planted their potatoes and he had not, he got his seed potatoes and planted them and then we got all that rain, they been in the ground for 4 weeks now and his field has been nothing but standing water...he isn't to happy with himself for planting so soon, he said he should have just left it till later like he always does and had been done with it, now he will have to pay more for seed potatoes again, which is something he isn't very happy about!

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
We're going to try the straw method in containers. I normally don't grow potatoes, since they're cheap to buy, but I found some of the blue ones so we're going to try it.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Woody,

We had a small sack of potatoes that went bad and started to sprout, and were very "wet". I took those that sprouted, and cut them so there were one or two sprouts on each potato. Then I put all of those cuttings in a container with very very dry woody potting soil. Some of them were borderline rotting so I wanted to soak that "crud" up.

They were under my grow light to keep them dry. Some of them got nice 7-8 inch sprouts.

Other ones I experimented with and put in Jiffy pots and they grew about 12-15 inches very fast. I planted them all a couple weeks ago. I buried the 12-15 inch ones right up to the neck and the others all went into the holes. Hopefully even though I covered the leaves on some they will make it. I'm starting to wonder if the ones that had only small sprouts will make it with all this rain. The ones that were 12-15 inches look really good right now.

The ones that had 7 or 8 inch sprouts actually two of them had small potatoes forming! Only about the size of a jelly bean though. And that was without any water.

This whole thing is an experiment for me because I never did potatoes before. Hope they work out ok.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The ones I planted I started inside in a shallow plastic container. I used regular grocery store potatos that had eyes sprouting. Cut them up so each only had one growth of eyes on each and filled the dirt up level with the top of the potato. Once they had and inch or so of green shoot I planted them in my raised beds. This is the first time I tried potatos, seems to be working well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
we take wood ashes (potash) put in paper bag put in spuds shake well then dig trench 6 in deep drop 8in apart cover 1in soil later hill till stalks die then harvest....we like norlznds

1 - 20 of 20 Posts