The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last winter stunk with heating my house with just oil, I even kept the thermostat below 70. Anyway, I have forced air in my home with oil heat and my dad has an old pot belly stove that he used to have in his old house. Im thinking of hooking up the pot belly stove so I dont have to depend on oil so much. My question is, how do I hook the pot belly to the existing duct work and is there some kind of blower/fan that can be hooked up to push the air? It would be a problem to hook the stove to the flu, just hooking it up to the duct work and forcing the hot air seems to be a dilemma for me.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
A pot belly stove is a radiant heat source. You maybe able to move some of the heat by placing a fan nearby. Movement via duct work will not be viable.

·
Registered
931 Posts
u could do like what my dad did with a woodstove we used when i was a kid. get sheetmetal and encase the stove in sheetmetal then hook a blower to the sheetmetal and hookup to ductwork.

pahunter

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I had a boss who used a Joutul stove [sweedish] looked like an airtight barrel w/ alternating pipes wrapped 1/2 way around. They drew cold air off the floor and radiated it up into a hood w/ a blower to pull it into the duct system. he only burned oil when he wasn;t home and and the stove went out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts