The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the pgc have to post a property as "baited" if they in fact find bait on the property or hunters on the property illegally harvesting deer?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yup,
And if I remember right and the WCO's that are members can weigh in here, they (Responding WCO ) can post as much or as little property that they feel is affected by the baiting.
I do not believe property lines come into play either. If the bait pile is near a property line the WCO may post both properties. The WCO wants to make sure that any deer that have become accustomed to the bait pile are not harvested due to there travel pattern to the pile until the deer become less accustomed to the pile after removal.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the property that was baited was never actually posted... i was told by a wco that it was baited and if i was caught on the property i would be cited....it was given a 30 day pd. i never hunted the property until the 30 day pd passed but i know for a fact others did, i actually saw them on the property. the property was never posted as a baited property.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
NO, they do not have to post the property as baited although they may.

Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission <span style="font-weight: bold">may </span>cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So John, could they(wco's) then in turn cite a hunter for hunting on the property? How would the hunter know he was hunting on baited property if it wasn't posted? Sounds like that hunter would have a pretty good argument to me.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lifes...read my above post...i did noy go near the place until AFTER he said it was ok...but others did. Could they have been cited?

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
He told you it was baited.
I'll bite. A WCO may not know every individual that hunts a property. IF a WCO doesn not want a formerly baited property hunted, he sure must have to post the area as such (off limits). No district justice worth their salt would find a hunter guilty of hunting prior baited property if it was not marked as such.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Brings to mind a good story from my area. Several years ago a local guy bought 90 acres near me. He included a "hunting rights" clause for the old gentleman that sold him the land, out of kindness, and due to the fact that he does not hunt, but has nothing agaisnt it. Fast forward several years, the old gentleman passes away. The first day of deer season the landowner hears a drive going on. Upon inspection, he finds a son of the previous owner, and about a dozen of his friends, hunting on the property. After informing him to leave, a ruckus breaks out that may turn ugly. The new owner, being a pretty intelligent guy, backs off. The next day he has 20 ton of shelled corn delivered. Him and his son spend the early morning spreading the corn around the entire property. When the wiseguy son shows up again, he tells him the property has been baited (True), and also tells him the proper authorities have been notified
( Not True ), and if he sets foot on the place he will be arrested for hunting over bait. After a blistering run of curses, Mr. Wiseguy departs and has never been back. True story, one I like because he used all the advantages he had to get rid of the guy, without violence.

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
He didn't have to resort to buying umpteen hundreds of dollars worth of feed corn to rid a trespasser from his land. A call to a local LEO probably would have done the trick.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
John,
I know of two locations that WCO's found corn piles on and they were posted with PGC signs that read inpart that the area was closed to hunting due to baiting.

As others have eluded too, if I was not the one who the WCO notified as to the 30 day waiting period, how would the other individuals who may hunt this area or property know the property(s) were off limits due to this baiting infringment??

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I can't speak for all areas and all WCOs but it s possible the ones that did not get posted were private property and posted against hunting and the officer told the landowner it was closed untill 30 days after the bait was cleaned up. There would be no reason to go to the trouble of posting if hunting is limited to a few people.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Mt post would have been close to what John just stated.
If land is pretty much open to public hunting, it gets posted. If its a private property with limited hunters, inform the landowner that their property is considered baited and closed to hunting until 30 after all residue has been removed.

As for an MDJ decision, if the officer presenting the case can prove that the subject should have reasonably known that the land was baited....there will be a guilty verdict.
WCO's dont just run around handing out baiting citations to people who really dont know their spot is baited.
It usually goes like this:

WCO: Why are you hunting over bait?
Violator: Bait?
WCO: Sir, the pile of corn and apples 20 yards from your stand?
Violator: Oh that...ummmmmmmm
Then the lies begin, usually with I didnt know that was there, to Well thats out all year round, to..
I could continue this string of lies for hours

In the end, before citations are filed for hunting through the use of bait, common sense and good judgement are used to take in the whole situation.

Again those 2 things are used...Common Sense and Good Judgement

·
Registered
972 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
The next day he has 20 ton of shelled corn delivered.
At todays price's that 20 tons would cost $5,124 plus delivery. Thats an expensive way to deter trespassers.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You know it ! At that time however, it was not expensive. I happen to know that he traded for it, he's a wheeler and dealer, but the cost didn't matter, the principal of shutting down the jerk was his goal.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I got a guy and his boy on video hunting 40yds from my corn feeder in archery they were infront of my game cam for a min talking and laughing and never even seen my camera video taping them, I would give anything to know who they were so i could call him up and chew him out. Im not even that interested in turning him in i just wish i knew who they were, I showed the video to everyone i know and no one recognized him. so cant do nothing if you dont know whos on the video. grrrrr...

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
good ole boy said:
I came close to callin a WCO on several large piles of shelled corn real close to a blind.
\

I wish you would have...... They will be back next year, if not spring gobbler

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
I was tryin to give them the benefit of the doubt cause they have used feeders year around to feed wildlife.But like I posted this was different and no feeders have been up for a good while.Worst part about it was I heard a shot that came from that direction that very same day later in the evening right before legal shootin time ends.I would never have believed they would be doin that.I was a far distance away so I couldn,t go investigateThis was early in the late muzzle/archery season and last week I walked by the area and the ground was bare where they(wildlife or people) cleaned up the corn with just a couple kernels left.There was snow when I first stumbled across it and maybe my tracks scared em.It has road access so they don,t have to walk very far to bait and hunt.It is a service road.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts