The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I took a trip up to the Promised Land area (Bruce Lake) today for a little reminiscing from back in my youth. This is the area my Grandparents lived, I hunted with my Pop, and spent many many hours running around the woods as a kid.

I had the place totally to myself...not another car in the parking lot. It was 28 degrees...dead calm....soft snow for sneaking quietly. I was going to take the 17 Rem for coyotes but decided on taking the 243 just incase I decided to be stupid and shoot a deer.

Then it turned into the weirdest day in all my years of hunting or even being in the woods. I went in the main trail and cut off one one of the trails I am familiar with. I havn't run this loop in many many years and nobody else did since it snowed Wednesday night. According to my GPS I did a 6.1 mile loop total and didn't cut a single track in the snow. No deer tracks...no turkey tracks...no coyote tracks...no fox tracks....no rabbit tracks...I didn't even see sign of a squirrel in the snow. I made two stands calling for coyote in the loop by swamps; and other than two nosey crows, that is the only wildlife I saw. I didn't even see a chick-a-dee, woodpecker, or blue-jay. Not even a bird chirp.

It was like the area was totally void of wildlife....very weird. If someone bet me a $100 I couldn't find any animal sign in that stretch I'd of taken that bet in a heartbeat...and apparently out $100 about now.

The walk did bring back lots of memories though. I sat at the very place I saw my Pop shoot quite a few deer. He always got them around 10am. The 3 rocks he had stacked up for his seat are still there and at 10am I parked my butt on them.

·
6,466 Posts
good story and great pics. its fun to go to the old spots and remember the good ole days.....btw im not sure you would legally be permitted to take the 17 during deer season but im not a wco maybe one could confrim this.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
17 Rem is a centerfire.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Great photos and I can understand no sign, went for a walk a few years back on a property bordering gamelands 42, found 2 old tracks in an area that used to be loaded with deer.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If nothing else it confirms my reasoning for hunting coyotes. It's a ton easier walking 50 - 100yds and calling them to you. Sneaking along for miles is effort...my legs are tired.

·
6,466 Posts
SigPro2340 said:
17 Rem is a centerfire.
yes i know but a big game gun has to be 22 or bigger....like i said im not a wco but i might be correct on this one

·
6,466 Posts
looks like you are correct when did they change the wording didnt it use to say 22 or larger?
Lawful Arms & Ammunition:
Deer and Bear: Regular Seasons - 1) Manually operated (pump,
lever, bolt actions, single-shot) centerfire rifles, shotguns and handguns
(revolvers or single-shots) with all lead bullet or ball, or bullet
designed to expand on impact; 2) muzzleloading long guns of any
type, 44 caliber or larger, or a muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber or
larger; and 3) long, recurve, compound bows or crossbows with
broadheads of cutting edge design. The use of buckshot is not
legal, except in the Southeast Special Regulations Area.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
i had to look it up to be sure. i thought it said 22 or larger at one point too.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was a 22 caliber min...years ago.
My Weatherby in 243 is alot lighter to carry than my 17 Rem.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
rflktrman said:
Great photos and I can understand no sign, went for a walk a few years back on a property bordering gamelands 42, found 2 old tracks in an area that used to be loaded with deer.
i hunted SGL 42 last year on the last day of season. same thing, picture perfect and not a deer track in sight. and this place was loaded 10 years ago. weird is right. but even with no deer, it is a great way to spend a day. solitary walks in the snowy mountains. makes me feel like jeremiah johnson.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts