The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets see em guy's. Interested in buying a tractor, might get some ideas from your pics.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I don't have a pic yet but if all goes well I will be buying one this weekend. It's a 30 hp diesel Massey Ferguson. I'll post if I get it.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
This was my tractor. The only thing is the Chain Harrow outlasted the Polaris, replaced it with a Suzuki 750 to do the work.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
timberdoodle said:
little wet for harrowing that day?
yea, that's for sure. My best made plans never go right.

Just got it all hooked up and started draggin' and then the skies opened up, hid under the trees for a while till the rain stopped but the damage was already done. At least it kept the dust down.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Suburbia Tractors

Sold the Kubota B1750

For a John Deere 2320

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any pics here at work. But I have a Kubota BX2200. Bought when they were first released in 2001 or 2002, can't rememeber. Either way, it's been a good machine and at the time, John Deere, Mahindra, Massey,New Holland, etc. were far behind in the sub-compact market. Since then, I've had the opportunity to checkout several of the other manufacturer's tractors and this market has come a long way. I'll likely be replacing my 'bota next year...and I will NOT buy another one. Why? Parts first of all. Very expensive comparitively speaking. And cheap hoses. They don't use good products for their hydro hoses on the sub-compact lines. I've replaced all mine with Parker. I'm about 90% sure I'm going green for my next purchase and may upgrade to a 4100 series which would be a "compact" and not "sub-compact". I'm also looking at the Deere 2000 series and it'll come down to need. The Bobcat sub-compacts are really nice too, I can't remember who makes them (Mahindra maybe?). But the price is very right on them currently as they are running ridiculous promotions...just an FYI. Best Line is a good place to go to check them out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a Kubota BX 2200 when they first came out as well. I loved that machine. We never had any problems with it though. Traded it in on a Kubota L3400 that I still own. Great machines.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Nice tractors Timberdoodle. What models are they?

I made a deal to buy a 1980s Massey Ferguson 220-4 with a loader. I am going to pick it up this weekend. I understand it can be hard to find parts for the 80s models but hopefully it won't be too much of a problem. Here is what the model looks like. It is a 30 hp with 26 PTO horsepower and weighs 3,100 lbs (with the loader more like 3,500 lbs). This will be my first tractor besides small wheel horse tractors.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I finally bought a tractor last year for work around my property. The one thing I found out was you can buy a good size tractor (40hp and up) for about the same price as a lawnmower w/loader.

After looking at all available I went with Kioti (bobcat), both are made by daedong corp. I ended up with a 45DK, (HydroTran) and a loader. I am amazed everyday with all the stardard options and the power that it has. I am SO glad I went with it and not a lightweight machine. I have had no problems with it and have 300hrs so far.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Nice.

Indiana, I looked at some tractors at a kioti dealer. They were nice looking tractors (looked a lot like Kubotas). I didn't realize they were affiliated with Bobcat or I would have looked into them more.

I think you are selling the subcompacts short by calling them lawnmowers with loaders. Some of the small tractors are nice and solidly built. They have a wide variety of attachments too. Big is better if you have plenty of space to store it and trailering is not an issue. I am going compact (but not tiny) because I will be using it on properties in separate states so there will be some trailering. A B or L-series Kubota would be ideal for me but too expensive considering I will be only using it for food plots and some property cleanup.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Sub-compacts are not made for the wear and tear they get. You will end up destroying one if you think it will handle large food plots, brush-hogging, removing stumps, and other day to day projects on a farm. They are built for the guy with 2-3 ac who might move some snow and dig a small ditch or two a year.

My main point was, for not much more you can get a machine that will do so much more.

·
Registered
452 Posts
For the most part, I agree with Indiana here. If you're actually thinking of doing any kind of "real" farm activity (even 1/2 acre or more food plots) I would recommend a compact versus a sub. Again, owning a sub-compact, I know the limits and I've pushed them....way more than I should have. The biggest issue is weight. My loader will handle far more weight than the tractor itself because the tractor is so light...even with counter weight. the narrower wheel base makes them very "tippy" as well. I'm not the best person to talk about this as I've done so many completely stupid things with mine that I'm lucky I'm still alive. I think God enjoys the entertainment and keeps protecting me. Either way...think hard about what EXACTLY you're going to be doing with a tractor when you purchase. Hind sight being 20-20, I sure wish I'd have gone bigger. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Around a 30hp 4x4 diesel utility tractor is a very nice size to do a varitey of work. This Kubota is 45hp. Prior I had a 27hp and it handled almost everything very well. The main advantage of this one is its ability to handle a very heavy bush hog.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.