The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my nephew has a mossberg 930 in 12 gauge with a ported barrel and we are trying for turkey for the first time this year and was wondering if he gets a ported choke tube will that slow the load to much versus a non ported choke or is it ok to use a ported choke with a ported barrel thanks

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Well for first..the ported in a barrel is too relieve the gases from the shot which helps to tame the kick down..as for the ported chokes..is does both on a solid barrel,,but mostly stripes the waddings from the shot so you get instant patterns as soon as it leaves the barrel..won't slow it down and won't hurt anything..

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My 24" 835 barrel is ported and so are many of the chokes I run in it for turkey. It puts up some patterns you would have to see to believe! The ONLY thing I would be worried about is touching off a round with someone sitting right beside you that doesn't have any ear protection in. They're definetely gonne get their ears rung!!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hunter8319 said:
If you decide to shoot shells with a flight control wad, you'll want to shoot a non-ported choke.
Yes and no here. A TON of guys are getting rediculous patterns shooting the Federal Heavy Weight #7 loads through some ported chokes, like the Truglo SSX, the Bone Collector Smackdown chokes and the Jelly Heads. True the non-ported chokes are GENERALLY a better choice, but the results with the chokes I mentioned just seem to fly in the face of what is generally known about those loads and wads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts