The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm closing in on closing on my new camp! It has an outdoor privy which is fine by me. However, there are going to be times when the wife is going to be more comfortable inside, not to mention my 2 and a half year old. We have a full size bathroom with running water. I'm thinking about purchasing one of these and sticking it in the bathroom.
http://www.amazon.com/Sanitation-Equipment-Visa-Potty-Model/dp/B000FBNWYK

Anyone else have a similar situation? What is it that your doing? Any suggestions? Septic is a few years down the line so just something for when its pouring down rain or late at night for my family.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
When i first did my cabin i didnt have a bathroom for first 3 years. Got one of them but only problem my azz was to big for it. Didnt work out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the same one for my pop up camper.
I got it so I wouldnt have to take my 2 young daughters up to the campground bathrooms in the middle of the night.
Now my wife uses it and the girls and Im the one who has to empty it. I tried to make some rules for it pee only no toilet paper etc. no one listenes to me and by the end of the weekend it gets pretty gross. and it is not the easiest thing to clean. If you have a full size bathroom I would look into an adult potty chair or one of the 5 gallon buckets with a toilet seat on it (they have [email protected] gander mountain). then dump it into the privy.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
We currently have one in my camp for number 1s only... the ladies and my son when he has to go at night. I do not use, but I get the short stick when it comes to emptying it. This summer I plan on installing a non electric compost toilet.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 5 gallon bucket with seat sounds like a good idea, emptying it into the privy daily. Couple concerns there, the smell? And then also clean up with that unless they make some sort of cheap biodegradable bags.

Hmmm ... looks like I need to continue thinking this one out as I surely will be the one emptying whatever we go with.

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
It's your job. Just do it and don't complain.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have been doing the 5 gallon bucket thing at camp for 12 years. We use a regular trash bag in the bucket, and in pour cat litter every time it is used. Doesn't get too bad that way.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Used it til I got a sunmar composting toilet......IF It gets THEM to camp easier, It gets YOU to camp easier..DEAL WITH IT,use it til something better comes about...If you have water lookinto a holding tank and a regular potty

·
Registered
122 Posts
I tried a camping toilet and results were terrible. I purchased a composting toilet a few years ago and it works great. No smell, empty it a few times a year and when you do it is just soil, great product. It is a little pricey but I see no need for septic after using it.

http://www.natureshead.net/

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
For the smell, we used to put a little water and PineSol liquid cleaner in the 5 gal bucket.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We dont have running water, only privy, we installed a regular toilet inside and ran a drain line to the privy and we have a tank that gravity feeds to fill toilet, of course it only will work if you camp sits higher than your privy.

·
Premium Member
24,044 Posts
outofstater said:
When i first did my cabin i didnt have a bathroom for first 3 years. Got one of them but only problem my azz was to big for it. Didnt work out.
I bought one of these several years ago(XG Model) which are a lil higher and plus larger to fit most of us even my Mrs!!!

Potti XG Portable RV ToiletTall, Big, and Sturdy

This durable toilet is easy to use, and high-gloss finish is easy to clean!
Bellows pump quickly flushes fresh water to clean bowl
Removable seat and cover for easy cleaning
Sealed valve keeps odors in holding tank
Two pieces that come apart and reattach easily
No-spill vented fresh-water fill cap
Exclusive no-splash pour spout
Handy built-in deodorant storage for ready availability (bottle included)
1-year warranty

·
Registered
326 Posts
mjmmessina said:
I tried a camping toilet and results were terrible. I purchased a composting toilet a few years ago and it works great. No smell, empty it a few times a year and when you do it is just soil, great product. It is a little pricey but I see no need for septic after using it.

http://www.natureshead.net/
Here's another vote for the Nature's Head composter. We installed one 4 years ago and never looked back. It works great and customer service has been second to none.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I donated my dead aunt's portable toilet that Medicare paid for so that the ladies that come to camp have something to pee in during the night. We men have been using the plastic hand held urinals. Who wants to use the outhouse in the middle of the night? :)

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To those that have used or are using the composting toilets hows it work in the winter? Really what I'm concerned about is the fact that from what I understand it needs to be fairly warm for the composting to occur which isn't a problem when the cabin is in use. But lets say no one goes up for 3 weeks, hows that work with the non composed #2?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
2 things...
If it's super cold it will freeze it and second the decomposition process creates heat... so as long as it's not well below freezing it will still decompose.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When it's time to empty the compost can it be bagged for trash, if you were not wanting to empty it in a compost pile?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts