The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I just rigged a garmin echo 150 for my kayak. Power source is 8AA batteries. Hope to get it out next week.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Is there a reason you're looking for a portable? I had a nice Humminbird setup on my john boat that worked great. It wasn't hard to install and once set up I never had to worry about it. I removed the display unit when done fishing and just plugged it when I was ready to go out again.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a trailer for my boat so I transport it on the back of my boat so its tough to have on that is not portable

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I bought a Humminbird PiranhaMax Portable fish finder for my kayak. It has a suction cup transducer. It can supposedly shoot through the bottom of the kayak, but I've only tried it attached to the outside so far and it seems to work pretty nicely. A lot of the reviews on it are that it doesn't find fish. I can vouch that it didn't pick up very many fish, but it showed me the contours of the bottom and any structure, which is what I bought it for. It comes with a rechargeable battery and a carrying case.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I used mine yesterday. It worked nicely except in the cove under 3 ft where the weeds were almost the surface. It is powered by 8AA batteries.battery holder and 9 volt connector were less than $5 at radio shack.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
taylord said:
I don't have a trailer for my boat so I transport it on the back of my boat so its tough to have on that is not portable
I see, makes sense.

I was going to suggest the portable one from Humminbird but I have no experience with how it performs.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If you do any ice fishing, I would consider a Vexilar as a great dual purpose unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts