The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always looking for a challenge so I tackled this guy.
Lots of fun.
Still drying, need to do finish work and base w/ habitat.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks good. Did the quills stay in it or come out? How did you skin it? I have one in the freezer that I need to skin out and decide if I want it mounted.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
nelentaxidermy said:
Always looking for a challenge so I tackled this guy.
Lots of fun.
Still drying, need to do finish work and base w/ habitat.
May I recommend the habitat include a hydraulic hose from a John Deere tractor, and/or metal trail sign?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I case skinned it.
Had it professionally tanned.
Did loose a few quills but he has plenty left.
Chewing on a john Deere would make me feel bad, have an old JD A I want to restore.
Thanks for the compliments.

·
Registered
339 Posts
ok thanks, that is what I thought but wasn't sure if turning it inside out would loose all the quills. How did you flesh it without quill damage or sticking yourself? I am going to put the skin in a box when I refreeze it, sure is a "pain" to move other things around in there with him laying in there.

·
Super Moderator
24,060 Posts
Looks great!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I mounted one about a year ago. After skinning, fleshing, salting, pickling, tanning and mounting, it probably dropped at least 50 quills. I was careful while working on it. Always worked on it on a light colored table top to help keep track of any dropped quills. Didn't want to find any by accident. I saved them all in case I wanted to replace some later. Never got stuck with one until I started sewing him up. It's going to lose some quills. Just try and keep track of them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts