The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a camp on a state lease.
The family's had it since 1964 and never had a problem with porcupines before now. Started getting game camera pic's of them two years ago but now they've decided to add the cabin to their diet.

They chewed a door (oak) to an outside closet/shed up about 20", the bottom of the door is gone. It's been there as long as we've had the place.
They then got in it closet and chewed up anything they could get to. A styrofoam archery target, the caps on the plastic gas cans, the corners of some plastic kerosene containers, just about everything they could get to.
This damage happened in less than 30 days, I got a phone call from a relative last Sunday that stopped by to check on the place and found the bottom of the door gone.

They've also started chewing on the poles for the porch and the outside wall of the cabin itself at places. Again, this just started.

I asking for advice on what I can spray around the place to deter these pointy quilled wood chewing rodents. I did spray some Tobasco on everything they chewed and around the place when I was up to put a patch on the door. Didn't know what else to do on short notice. I also know that they are now open to shoot - starting in September from what I've been told.

...oh and I also saw that a bear has been clawing up all the trees around the place. The claw marks were 74" - 78" high and are within 15' - 25' of the cabin. Mr. Bear also decided to tear the trim off of one corner of the outhouse. He enjoys doing this as this is the fourth straight year we get to replace it. He's just strated clawing up the trees though.

I love the woods but am wondering if they'll be anything left of the cabin by September.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
My wifes favorite is mothballs. She puts them everywhere. I'm not sure they help and the smell they make is sickening. It just might work for your critters.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
47studebaker said:
bottom 20 inches of everything gets covered with tin.
That's what I did with my place. I used aluminum soffit up 24 inches around the whole perimeter of the camp. A close friend, retired district state forester, told me they will chew aluminum also, but ,knock on wood,I haven't had any damage since. He also said that they don't seem to bother hemlock. Anything with glue or salt in it they will destroy.
Don't think anyone going to give you any grief for shooting any around camp now, not with the damage. You do have a right to protect your property.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
They usually are in pairs, don't know why but there is always two. I have always seen the problem stop after ( removing) the pair. That does not mean a new set won't find your camp, but if something is going to literally destroy my property, I would not lose a wink over stopping it my way, Lethal Force ! Just be discreet about it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
My buddies cabin was under siege from a pair of porcupines, many, many failed attempts to deter them from eating the porch, cabin and gutters???
Finally trapped one and shot one...no more problem. Unfortunate but sometimes absolutely necessary in defending your cabin from critters. Good luck with your situation.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
When we had our camp on Beech Creek Mtn it was owned by a large Timber Co. we were instructed by the owner to shoot any porky we saw as they damaged the trees and that was their livelihood, never had the opportunity to do that but those were my instructions....

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
bobcat said:
Coureurs De Bois said:
[ He also said that they don't seem to bother hemlock.
no wonder he is retired.
He was referring to cabin siding, not the live trees.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts