The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is related to a post in the Hound Dog forum. Is there a way for the PGC to help a group legally obtain a porcupine for dog avoidance training? Guys want to break their dogs from them and they aren't game animals, they cost hunters a great deal of money to get dogs unquilled. The animal will not be hurt just need to be live to teach dogs to avoid it during hunting situations. PM me or answer here.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We will at the club I belong to <u>if we can do it legally</u>. If it can happen it will be bird dogs and hounds. I have a bird dog pro who will help out, may get another pro if demand is there. Breaking is same for both type of dogs.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Sounds good to me, sign me up if it happens. Even if you are using roadkill I will have my hounds there, cheaper than $200 a weekend for the vet with my one stubborn Plott Hound.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could this fall under the exotic permit I have seen in the code via the PGC website? Not sure, how do animal park obtain them? I will call the Franklin office tomorrow and see what they say and post back.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No it wouldn't fall under an exotic permit, exotic permits are for animals raised in captivity and only specific animals.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
John What about using fresh roadkill, I probably know the answer. We as houndsmen need to start a movement to have Porcupines removed from the protected list and start to hunt them. The Porcupine population is become over run in my area. Just the damage to trees alone is very evident.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If an animal is protected you may not possess it without a permit. If you are seriuos about tis call the PGC HQ in Hbg and speak to one of the guys in the Bureau of Wildlife Protection and ask if it is possible to get a permit to possess a protected specimen roadkill, you would have to pay for it but it may be possible.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks John this is the kind of advice I was looking for. I will make the call today and see what they say.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made the call to Harrisburg's Bureau of Wildlife Protection. They stated that any permits need to come from the local district. So I called and was told by Franklin that this is a first time question and that the local WCO would give me a call back to let me know. I will keep you posted on this.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
They were propbably wondering what you were smoking when you asked that question. LOL

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Nah, the director of the bureau of wildlife protection is a dog man.

·
Registered
25,821 Posts
Takes one to know one.

Not sure if'n he ain't really a pirate, after hearing what he wanted for them pups last year?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you ever saw his cockers at work you wouldn't think that.

·
Registered
644 Posts
§ 147.141. Sale of wildlife and wildlife parts.
(a) Wildlife or parts of wildlife accidentally killed on the highway or by other causes, illegally taken, shot for crop damage or live deer removed from the wild, may be sold to a person under the following minimum fee schedule:

(1) Deer antlers—$10 per point.

(2) Deer cape—to include entire hide—$25.

(3) Doe or spike buck head and hide—$25.

(4) Fawn deer—$75.

(5) Any live deer—$150.

(6) Deer hide only—$5.

(7) Pheasant, grouse, quail, squirrel, rabbit, hare, woodchuck, mink, muskrat, opossum, skunk, weasel and raccoon—$25.

(8) Other small mammals—$25.

(9) Turkey, beaver and fox—$50.

(10) Bobcat, otter and fisher—$100.

(11) Bears—minimum of $100.

(12) Cow or spike elk head and hide—$100.

(13) Elk cape—to include entire head—$100 plus $20 per point.

(14) Elk antlers—$20 per point.

(15) Elk hide—$25.

(16) Live elk—minimum of $100.

(17) Any other species may be sold at public auction or through sealed bid.

(b) An official Commission receipt shall serve as a person’s permit to possess and retain the wildlife sold under authority of subsection (a).

(c) Live deer may only be sold to persons holding an existing and current Wildlife Propagation or Wildlife Menagerie Permit.

(d) Except those accidentally killed by a vehicle, sales of wildlife or wildlife parts may not be made to the person who caused the death or removal from the wild of the bird or animal or a member of the immediate household, or a person acting on their behalf.

Authority

The provisions of this § 147.141 amended under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. § § 103(a) and 2102(a).

Source

The provisions of this § 147.141 adopted June 19, 1987, effective July 1, 1987, 17 Pa.B. 2464; amended March 10, 1989, effective March 11, 1989, 19 Pa.B. 1020; amended June 6, 1997, effective June 7, 1997, 27 Pa.B. 2743; amended September 27, 2002, effective September 28, 2002, 32 Pa.B. 4715. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (285092) and (242891).

Cross References

This section cited in 58 Pa. Code § 147.42 (relating to possession of deer accidentally killed by a motor vehicle).

Looks like it would fall under "other small mammal" for $25.00

·
Registered
644 Posts
Should have included this also:
"Wildlife." Wild birds, wild mammals and facsimiles thereof, regardless of classification, whether protected or unprotected, including any part, product, egg or offspring thereof, or the dead body or parts thereof (excluding fossils), whether or not included in a manufactured product or in a processed food product.

·
Super Moderator
4,872 Posts
I give you credit for wanting to do it legal.Some guys would have just trapped one and did it.I also will be suprised to see it happen even though I think you have a well thought out plan.Good luck.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hunted the hounds today. Started at 3am, in 15 minuets they had a yote jumped and the chase was hot and on. We had 12 hounds out and by 6am we had 6 quilled up spent the next 2 hours pulling quills. Porcupines are everywhere, out of the last 8 weekends we got quilled 6 times anywhere from 2 dogs to 7. There has to be a solution.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts