The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came in from couple hr. evening hunt. Feel like a human popsicle!!!! Man that temp. fell out the bottom once the sun went down.. didn’t even see a deer.. grrr

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Gonna be a tough Friday and Saturday. Monday is not shaping up to be anything but ugly.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Got up and saw the felt like was -6 this am. Decided to spend the morning with the fam. Will play the rest of the week by ear.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Best kind of weather to have in rock lock season. Cold keeps them moving

·
Registered
298 Posts
I will be headed out tomorrow morning for a few hours and I am looking forward to going out Monday to hunt in the single digit temps. I love hunting in the cold and finding the right mix of moving just enough to keep warm. Of course that gets more difficult when the ground is frozen and every step is like a siren to the deer. My wife thinks I am nuts...she is probably right.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah but you’ll love every minute of it. Just like me.. just gotta find where they are all herded up at. Mostly on the neighboring posted property, and they ain’t moving till after dark..

·
Registered
966 Posts
Next week up here they're saying negatives at night a few days and day time temps in single digits almost all week. I'll definitely be sneakin. Only thing that sucks is if I get one I might get frostbite tryin to get it skinned out and quartered at the pole. Might have to build a big fire.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The field I usually hunt is full of deer prettymuch every evening well before dark... Problem is that it's so darn cold.. LOL.... But I think I might brave it thisevening. Groundblind with a propane heater might help.... LOL

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
The field I usually hunt is full of deer prettymuch every evening well before dark... Problem is that it's so darn cold.. LOL.... But I think I might brave it thisevening. Groundblind with a propane heater might help.... LOL
same here, I have a ladder stand in a swale out in the middle of a picked soy bean field that the deer are hitting before dark. may be some long shooting and its going to be cold out in the wind. i'll see if I can tough it out.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
coldest sit I have ever had! 12 degrees and 15 - 20 mph wind in the side of the head! it was cold!!!!! flipped open the frizzen to check the powder and the wind blew right out of the pan, and sure enough, the deer were a no show. who was the dumb one here? next time!

·
Registered
18,921 Posts
Its been cold for sure but I believe the hunting gets better with each drop in degree. I was out all day yesterday dawn till dark and every bone in my body felt it when I climbed into my vehicle at the end of the day. I finally feel like I warmed up as a type this the next morning.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I litterally was a Popsicle for a couple of hours. Went out Fri. evening to hunt the edge of a creek bottom where I know they like to bed. Decided to take a short cut by crossing the frozen creek. Was doing fine til I got to the middle and clear ice was not quite as thick as I thought it was. Cracking ice and I knew I was done dropped in to a little over my knees. Scrambled out with two boot full of water and outer garments wet to a little above knees. Had lightly dropped flintlock on ice with some water touching it. Determined I went to my chosen spot and decided I could tough it out for 1 1/2 hours. Note: I would never have attempted to cross at a deep location.

Checked out barrel powder with a pick thru flash hole and felt confident it was not touched by water. Primed and toughed it out to dark, with only sighting to be a mink. Kept working my toes and moving feet to keep circulation going. No numbness set it or I would of not stayed. Outer garments up to knee was frozen solid on the walk out.

Checked mz out, 1st attempt flash went off but not main charge. Next time it fired. Cleaned up gun and ready for next outing which will probably be New Year's day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts