The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here pull a pop up camper with a caravan? Do you find it to be difficult? I know this is a lonhshot since most of you most likely have trucks, but I figured I would ask. I found a Jayco 1206 for $1500 in good condition. Says the weight is 2450 pounds.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Does your caravan have a 6 or 8 cylinder in it??? Trailers are hard on any vehicles engine and drivetrain.It should be able to pull it but check all fluid levels and dont speed...In hot weather you can overheat a vehicles engine or transmission pulling a trailer...Go real slow on the hills...

·
Super Moderator
4,622 Posts
Caravans only came with 4 or 6 cylinder engines.Add a transmission cooler and you will be fine.$50 or close to that.Buy a spare tire and an extra set of bearings if it has small tires on it and pack the bearings frequently.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
My brother towed that same pop up with a Ford Windstar for a lot of years in the 90's. He went all up and down the East coast without any issues. The Ford was rated for 3500 lbs.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
PrisonSgtM70 said:
Does anyone here pull a pop up camper with a caravan? Do you find it to be difficult? I know this is a lonhshot since most of you most likely have trucks, but I figured I would ask. I found a Jayco 1206 for $1500 in good condition. Says the weight is 2450 pounds.

CK your Owners Manual. They normally have pretty good info on towing capacities. My guess is that you will be ok.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I had a 1990 Rockwood pop-up and pulled it with a 1994 Caravan quite a bit. Never had any trouble with it. Had the 3.3 v6 in it. Never put a transmission cooler on it, but probably should have. The caravan had 268,000 miles on it when I got rid of it,and I towed the camper with it up the time I sold it. Also used a Chevy Venture to pull it also without any trouble.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My owner's manual states it can pull 3500 pounds. Camper is 2450. Installed a trans cooler already. Taking it this weekend 15 miles away, so we shall see how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts