The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to take care of the alga in my pond. My pond is about 30 feet wide by 50 feet long & about 8 to 10 feet deep in the center. Water flows from a side hill into the pond & has an overflow pipe on the other side of the pond.

Someone told me that barley would take care of this, but I don’t know where to buy it. Any other cheap suggestions

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
My neighbor came up last year and sprayed our surface with an organic substance and it killed it within a day. The koi just came up and inhaled the stuff after it was dead. I don't know what it was but any pond store would have something that would work. Ours was quite bad so I know what you are talking about. Maybe google search on ponds and their care. We have quite a bit of algae and nothing seems to help. I bought an organic fix two weeks ago and it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I got the chance to talk with an export in this field and he told me that pond scum is mostly due to excess nutrients. Very common in new ponds less than 10 yo. Due to distubance of the soils, and lack of a top to bottom (food chain)structure. His best advice was to plant stuff to uptake the nutrients. Cattails, rice, rush, etc....

Chemicals are expensive and will need to be applied until the plants and stuff find its way on their own. You can save $$ by taking these plants from nearby ponds (with permission).

Be careful killing to much vegitation at once as you could kill the animals in the pond by having tons of dead plants rotting at one time. Due half one month then the other half latter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts