The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for suggestions as to what bait to try ice fishing for walleyes that I stocked in pond around 3 or 4 years ago. last week there was 6 inches of ice. I was just going to try emerald shiners or fat heads on a simcoe jig. I have tried night crawlers and bobbers in evening on open water and tried casting spinners and used fly rod with streamers 0 so far. thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
you sure they're still there?

Through the ice - I'd try shiners or fatheads on tip ups or maybe a deadstick. If you're jigging - I'd probably start with a jigging spoon tipped with a head of a fathead - maybe a jigging rap. Try jigging near the tip-ups. Somtimes the jigging will draw them in and they'll end up hitting the tip up or deadstick.

Open water - I prefer leeches over crawlers when it comes to live bait, but that's just me ...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am trying to find out if they are still there. everything else I stocked in pond seems to be doing ok. I think there might be too much food because I observed lots of pinheads in the water late spring/summer. spring fed pond as well as being fed by small creek and runoff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts