The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Poll shows strong Pa. support for new gun controls </span></span>
January 30, 2013
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — A new poll shows strong support in Pennsylvania for certain gun-control measures.

The telephone survey by Connecticut-based Quinnipiac University released Wednesday showed 95 percent of Pennsylvania voters support background checks for all gun buyers.

The survey also found that voters support, by a three-to-two margin, nationwide bans on the sale of assault weapons and the sale of large-capacity ammunition magazines.

Voters were more closely divided on other issues.

The poll showed 47 percent said they would favor the legalization of same-sex marriages, with 43 percent opposed. But respondents were evenly split over increasing gas taxes to finance highway and bridge repairs.

The survey was conducted over six days ending Sunday. The sampling error margin was plus or minus 2.8 percentage points

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
again...people supporting stances against things they don't understand. Like stem cell research, doesn't have to be from embryos...but that's what everyone thinks due to poor media intervention.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
G2CDeer said:
They didnt call me.
Ide be willing to bet that the "95% of PA Voters" that were surveyed lived in Philly.
Surveys are designed to be unbiased, but can be skewed towards the outcome the surveyor wants. there is always a discrepancy of +/- 5 ish. All really depends on "who, where, and when" you survey.

·
Registered
20,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G2CDeer said:
They didnt call me.
Ide be willing to bet that the "95% of PA Voters" that were surveyed lived in Philly.
By Colby Itkowitz

Call Washington Bureau

9:57 a.m. EST, January 30, 2013
Washington—
If public opinion sways politicians then the results of a new poll by Quinnipiac University may explain why a number of southeast Pennsylvania Republicans have indicated that, at the very least, they'd be open to universal background checks on gun sales.

The poll released Wednesday morning - at the same time the U.S. Senate held a hearing on gun violence - found that a whopping 95 percent of registered Pennsylvania voters support background checks on all gun buyers.

And a majority of Pennsylvanians also support the more controversial gun control proposals. On a national ban of assault weapons, 60 percent support and 37 percent oppose. And on national ban on the sale of magazines with more than 60 rounds of ammunition, 59 percent support and 39 percent oppose.

Keystone State voters, especially voters in urban areas, seem to have had enough of gun violence. By large margins, voters don’t think assault weapons belong in the hands of any gun owner. Restrict the firepower of assault weapons or ban them entirely, Pennsylvanians say," said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

Lehigh Valley U.S. Rep. Charlie Dent told The Morning Call he was open to stricter background checks. And Philadelphia-area Republican U.S. Reps. Mike Fitzpatrick and Pat Meehan recently told the Philadelphia Inquirer that they'd support checks on gun buyers.

But none offered their support for assault weapon bans or ammunition limits.

Just under half of Pennsylvania voters would be more likely to support their member of Congress if he/she supported an assault weapon ban. Just over one-quarter said they'd be less likely and 26 percent said it would make no difference.

Quinnipiac University polled 1,221 registered Pennsylvania voters from Jan. 22 to Jan. 27 with a margin of error of +/- 2.8 percent.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Yeah, and I just saw a poll where 51% said folks should be allowed to own "assault weapons". Then they were asked to define "assault weapons". Questions 36 and 37 in the link.
Interesting.

http://reason.com/assets/db/13594787432940.pdf

BTW: Based on the questions asked and when the poll was conducted, I believe I was called on this poll. Had a fun time playing with the questioner.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
There was a survey on tv a few days ago. I don't know who was doing it. The first question was "Do you think Congress was doing a good job?" Everyone said no, they didn't. The second question was Name your Congressman. No one knew. Question 3 was name 2 people from the jersey shore tv show. Everybody got that one. Those are the people we are up against.

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you look at the poll results for each question by breakdown, it is
blaringly obvious that the demographic of those polled was very slanted.
The breakdown looks like it was predominantly democrats polled.

If that were indeed the case, then suspicion rises as to the geographic
areas that were polled.

When you look at their document provided as to the breakdown...
(you have to download it, it's a word document). ALL DOUBT IS REMOVED.
This was a slanted polling of Democrats and left leaning "independents".
I would guess from the Philly & Pittsburg area.

THE POLL

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold">Connecticut</span>-based Quinnipiac University (How about a poll out of a Pa Universiry then I'll trust it).

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Birch812 said:
G2CDeer said:
They didnt call me.
By Colby Itkowitz

Call Washington Bureau

9:57 a.m. EST, January 30, 2013
Washington—
If public opinion sways politicians then the results of a new poll by Quinnipiac University may explain why a number of southeast Pennsylvania Republicans have indicated that, at the very least, they'd be open to universal background checks on gun sales.

Quinnipiac University polled 1,221 registered Pennsylvania voters from Jan. 22 to Jan. 27 with a margin of error of +/- 2.8 percent.
Southeast PA = Philly and only 1,221 registered PA voters were polled? Hardly enough people for a national/state survey.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Still want second opinion I don't care anyone can be corrupted for the right price. But that's just me.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
25-OTT6 said:
Still want second opinion I don't care anyone can be corrupted for the right price. But that's just me.
It's a 2nd amendment rights issue. The polls are public opinion. You could make it about single shot 22's and how many of those answering would give the same answer?

In the case of the quinny NY poll, 59% of republicans polled said it went too far. This whole issue obviously breaks along party lines. The poll is worthless...it's a legal question.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Threads like this just tick me off.

1. I don't care about polls, even if they are in my favor. Polls in today's liberal "state controlled" media are there to shape opinion, not give actual data. Funny, when AP news came on today on the radio, it was top to bottom gun control, and how they are "making breakthroughs". When I turn on a reputable news source, there was no mention of gun control, or break troughs. Not trying to shape opinion? The left, and their cohorts in the media are loosing this argument, and they know it.

2. I believe half of what I see, and NONE of what I hear. There is so much propaganda today, it's pointless to actually take what they say as factual.

3. The whole concept of "gun control" is flawed because we all know that by passing more laws will do NOTHING to actually curb gun violence, or "save the children" which is how they are selling it. This isn't about public safety, guns, or children...it's about control and using the Constitution as a floor mat.

4. I don't care what the low information voter thinks should be banned or whatever. The arguement is pointless. It's in the constitution. Either get over it, or try to muster up the votes to repeal it. It's not up to "public opinion", or "polls".

5. You don't just "reinterpret" the constitution based on what the current people in power think. IT'S ON PAPER. Read it, and abide by it, or try to repeal it. How do politicians get away with breaking their oath of office by not defending constitution? That's their PRIMARY JOB.

6. The vast majority of gun owners are law abiding. Due to a VERY small minority of law breakers doesn't make us guilty, or society guilty. The law breakers are guilty. Punish them and move on. Hire some security guards, stop wackos from owning or stealing guns, etc... Leave me, and the rest of the gun owners ALONE.

Why is this so hard for some to understand?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Curly Maple said:
For what it's worth...Their NY poll showed 34% thinking it went too far. 30% not far enough, 30% about right.

Good for those fools....they can continue to live in Tyranny in NY and pay their taxes too. Good luck with that. See why polls are dumb? See why there's a mass migration out of every super blue state like NY and CA?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Polls are for the low information voter who can't or won't on their own figure out the facts on an issue.

The polls are a very underhanded mechanism for the propagandists to get a message out and then repeat it over and over again.

The Q poll will allow Casey to spout off about how Pennsylvanians want more gun control based on this limited/uninformed opinion generated by the propagandists. Polls that don't support the narrative are not mentioned or discarded because someone decides they aren't credible.

Goebbels smiles.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
bearhollow said:
The Q poll will allow Casey to spout off about how Pennsylvanians want more gun control based on this limited/uninformed opinion generated by the propagandists. Polls that don't support the narrative are not mentioned or discarded because someone decides they aren't credible.

Goebbels smiles.
We have a winner. That's exactly right, esp about the Casey comment. Well said.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Quite obvious that the propagandist media has succeeded in their mission to misinform the public on firearms.

The majority of people polled defined an assault weapon as an AUTOMATIC weapon. I would actually agree with that sentiment. Problem is, the poll is basically asking people how they define AR rifles and they ignorantly believe that they are automatic machine guns.

I also like those polled who refer to an assault weapon as one that "fires multiple rounds" and is a "powerful/dangerous weapon". I can bet that 80%+ of all guns in society right now "fire multiple rounds" and that ANY firearm in the hands of someone evil is a "dangerous weapon". So is a bat. So is a crowbar. So is some diesel fuel and fertilizer.

It's the "powerful" thing that gets me as I have heard so many in the media spouting off about since Newtown. I have heard so many people talk about how POWERFUL AR rifles are, that one would believe that a .223/5.56 round is the most powerful one on Earth, able to knock a bull elephant off his feet. People literally have no clue about firearms and are just eating up whatever the media feeds them. This results in a bunch of American citizens who are convinced that an AR rifle is the EXACT same rifle used by the US military and that is is FULLY AUTOMATIC and one of the most POWERFUL weapons in the history of mankind. This leads to the constant cries and questions as to "who NEEDS such a powerful and deadly weapon"???

And these same people accuse conservatives and those to the right of being unable to educate themselves or think on their own and only regurgitate what Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck tell them...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts