The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone seems to have their own method for cleaning their real black powder shooting guns. I picked out a few different combinations of cleaning methods that I think are fairly common. If you use some other method post it.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Start to finish it takes me about 50 min to clean mine. I use two old coffee cans filled with hot soapy water. Put all the parts, frizzen, touch hole, etc in one and let soak while I clean the barrel in the other. After I'm finished with the barrel, I get everything out and lay them on a towel. (This is the best part), I drink a beer while I wait for the parts to air dry and then do the clean up work, wonder lube patches, cleaning moving parts with patches, etc, then put everything back together. This works for me, but others may say it's a waste of time. However, after shooting with others, I'm always told that I'm the guy that has the least mis-fires. I don't know if it's the gun or the care, but that's what I do.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Takes me about 5 min. to clean up. Take lock out, remove flint, remove barrel. Pump barrel with warm water and dish soap. Dry patch barrel and breech and stand in corner muzzle down. Clean lock with toothbrush and soapy water and dry with hair dryer. Let it all sit for an hour or so and oil bore and spray oil on lock. Let drain for a couple of hours and re-assemble.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
mossie said:
Takes me about 5 min. to clean up. Take lock out, remove flint, remove barrel. Pump barrel with warm water and dish soap. Dry patch barrel and breech and stand in corner muzzle down. Clean lock with toothbrush and soapy water and dry with hair dryer. Let it all sit for an hour or so and oil bore and spray oil on lock. Let drain for a couple of hours and re-assemble.
Man you work fast!

·
Registered
12,523 Posts
At the range or when done hunting, a few swabs with old WW2 bore cleaner, the stinky stuff that neutralizes powder residue. Then hot soapy water at home, followed by some high grade machine oil when dry. Two days later it gets another oiled swab down the bore just as a precaution.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I just get a coffee can with hot water, remove the lock (for seperate cleaning), remove the touch hole line, screw in the water tube, then use a nylon brush wrapped with a cleaning patch and "pump" the hot water in and out. Once the residue is desolve out, I run clean dry patches to dry the bore(the barrel being hot helps too). Once the patches come out dry I run a patch coated with bore butter in and out a few times. It keeps the bore "cured". Been my method for the last 20 or so yrs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
A Little Murphy oil soap in a bucket of warm water and remove the touch hole. Then it's a patch with a little soap on it so it doesn't get caught. run the patch up and down until all black crap is cleared out and then into a bucket of clean water. I clean the lock with Murphy soap and a hand brush under warm running water and leave out until dry. Oil the barrel with gun oil and the lock and reassemble and I'm done . Total time about 20 minutes

·
Registered
332 Posts
Warm water and soap in coffee can plunge back and forth till all is clean,brush lock with nylon brush with warm soapy water till clean. I let it rest,gun barrel and lock on top of warm coal stove for several hr's to get every thing dry then oil inside and outside as well as lock.Has serve me well for a long time with different smoke pole's

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
TPlank said:
equal parts Murphy's oil soap, 70% rubbing alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide.
For me 3parts peroxide 2 parts 91% alcohol 1 part murphys oil soap.

Works awesome, can clean up a cruddy barrel, and lock in less than ten minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts