The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A coworker was asking me if I ever heard of Poke, someone he new as a kid would pick it for eating. Does anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Poke weed shhots are edible just do not cut to close to the root or when they get big and the purple appeares then they become poisonous. Par boil gently and bread in cornmeal and fry, or cook like greens with bacon and vineger.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Poke salad Annie, gators got your granny. Chomp, chomp, chomp.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
About 8 yrs. ago we had a one of those light mast years in the area I was hunting. Poke weed all around the food plots. The 8 pt. I called in and arrowed, was literally purple in the intestinal tract from poke berries.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I added poke root to my never again list. With all the rain I was able to pull some 20 plus pounders out. Easy to clean an chop but its been 4 days and don't want to dry.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
gotcha...I always wondered if the ripe berries are edible. I have heard that the unripe berries and the the plant when it turns purple is poisonous.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The berries are not edible for humans and the plant is only edible when the shoots first come up through the ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts