The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
if those ranchers would quit charging to hunt hogs they wouldnt have this problem. Texas wildlife officials need to lift any season restrictions on hog hunting and advertise the heck out of it.

they could get a list of property owners, charge 50.00 for the day and the local hotels and restaurants would make a ton of money.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
This is causing quite a stir in the Lone Star State. Texas Parks and Wildlife only requires that anyone hunting them have a license, but don't regulate seasons, bag limits or methods of hunting. A lot of outfitters and landowners are making money selling hunts and leases for hogs. Most set bag limits on their hunts, some don't. The Ag department approved the use of a Warafin based poison by landowners that want them controlled. The pellets are root beer barrel candy sized mouse poison but supposedly have double the strength of poison of commercial mouse/rat poison. Since the hogs are free ranging there is a lot of concern about hogs that are harvested for consumption.
Sounds like a they are opening a can of worms.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand that hunters can't make a dent in them. They scatter so fast after the first shot, hunters can't get but a few of a group and then they get scatted and lay low. I've seen pictures of cultivated fields being rooted up just before harvest, so bad they look like the fields had just been rototilled. I have seen ads in magazines about going to texas to hunt boar for free. Don't know if they allow heat sensing devices for hunting. Seems like something more than hunting needs to be done

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
It not unusual to see hunting parties with 2-3 guys killing a dozen or more in a night. A lot just dump them in a ditch or leave them where they drop for varmints and birds to feed on. There are no restrictions on methods, many use red or green lights over feeders.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
even shooting from helicopters. will the PGC allow us to do the same when their hog study area goes berserk and they wind up all over the state or will they sell high priced stamps and have bag limits to get people back into hunting when the deer are gone.

have the insurance companies seen what happens when a car hits a hog ? they'll be glad to have the deer come back.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
even shooting from helicopters. will the PGC allow us to do the same when their hog study area goes berserk and they wind up all over the state or will they sell high priced stamps and have bag limits to get people back into hunting when the deer are gone.

have the insurance companies seen what happens when a car hits a hog ? they'll be glad to have the deer come back.
We will never have a hog population like down south.Our cover is nothing like down south.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
hopefully we won't.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We were down there a few years back and tried to hook up a DIY hunt. Couldn't get a straight answer of whether we just needed a Nonresident license, or an Exotics. While there, we looked through the classifieds for processors and saw more than 1 article that said (paraphrasing) "If out of state, make sure you supply either a WCO in person, or an Exotics license."

Decided right there, they were more interested in making money than dealing with a hog problem. Offered help, they deciined, their problem. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
they should have a mosquito creek style hog hunt in Texas. invite folks from all over.

wont be a hog left in one week.

just let everybody know that each hog killed earns cash. if there is one thing PA hunters are good at, is killing anything thats legal. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
they should have a mosquito creek style hog hunt in Texas. invite folks from all over.

wont be a hog left in one week.

just let everybody know that each hog killed earns cash. if there is one thing PA hunters are good at, is killing anything thats legal. :)
IMO, you either have a problem or you don't. You either want help or you don't. When it all becomes a money game, forget getting help from anyone else.

Texas law says that a resident can hunt hogs anytime, and can take them by any means necessary/desired. Nonresident? Well, why don't "y'all" come down and see what Texas justice looks like? No thanks.

We were willing to hunt public land, dress and retain any harvested animals, and abide by any and every rule. Problem is? No one would tell us what the rules were or are. It was going to be a bigger gamble than going to Vegas.

So, Texas, you have a hog problem? You don't want help unless it's in the form of huge dollars? Solve it yourself. Help was offered. Help was refused. IMO, they don't have a problem, cause if they did, they would PAY US to come down there and help.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
The Texas Hog Huntering Association got an injunction against the Agricultural Secretary implementation of the Warafin Poison Plan sighting the dangers of poisoning animals that so many people harvest for consumption, as well as the potential unintended consequences for other animals and birds.

RKG64, You need a license to hunt any game or non game species. An out of state resident can either buy a 5 day exotic license or a non-resident hunting license to hunt hogs. The licenses are available on line as well as any Texas Walmart, Bass Pro, Cabela's or Academy Sports.
I've found that the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife to be very helpful in answering hunting and fishing related questions.

Hunting is a big industry in Texas. 98% of the land is private. Public land hunts require a permit which are often draws. Texas has it's share of unscrupulous outfitters and lease managers but most are stand up people. The Texas Hunting Forum has a Scam/Fraud Alert where hunters regularly post information on the bad ones.

Reactions: casey

·
Registered
22 Posts
All I know is that when I was standing on Texas soil (2013), I was being told one thing by the license seller at Walmart and another thing by a WCO.

Not worth the license fee or the potential fine. FWIW, I had a place to hunt already taken care of.

What is "not my problem"?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
maybe this is already addressed, I am not sure, There needs to be a strong dye in the poison to mark the hogs that ate so that people don't eat, a dye that would show up in the insides, and be apparent on the mouth.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
laying out poison bait is going to cause a whole lot of problems. IMO they would have to close that land to hunting for a long time afterwards to make sure the deer didnt get into it.

as if CWD wasnt enough to worry about, now you have a hog or deer with coumadin (warfarin) in it. you shoot it and feed it to your family...now what ?

Bad idea.

just drop the license requirement for 2 years for residents and non residents alike. AND no fee to hunt hogs on problem properties. 24/7 all year long.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
and what prevents any other animal from eating the poison? mice , deer, squirrels ,let alone livestock ?
then after the hog crawls off and dies what about scavengers that feed off the carcass?
the corpse won't even breakdown and decay right if bugs and microbes die trying to feed off it.

i'm all for exterminating hogs by using any practical means available but this seems like a nightmare just waiting to happen

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
according to the maker of the poison, the stuff oxidizes or something in the first animal and then is no longer dangerous. Apparently wild boar are more susceptable to warfarin than most wild animals. If you can believe what the maker says.

There have been big advances in special meds developed to target problems in specific parts of the body. Pharmaceutical companies can make a poison for humans to take that only affects certain tumor cells, they can probably make a species specific medication. Just as a natural example, why are grapes/ raisins poison to dogs, but not other animals, even foxes. We have come a long way since ranchers indiscriminately killed with strychnine.

·
Registered
525 Posts
One thing that sticks in my mind that we as a people are really good at---screwing things up. The thought of poison--well I would ask--Have we thought this through. Many times over we come up with short term solutions for long term problems that lead to even greater problems that are even tougher to solve. I fully understand the absolute large scale issue with the damage these hogs are doing. I also agree with hunting them hard--will, or can we as hunters knock a dent in the population of hogs?
Well--I spent a few years in Texas, and found that many stated they wanted help to reduce the number of hogs---OH--for a nominal fee charged for me to shoot them---As was said----if you have a real problem that is so large scale, and doom & gloom bad---well it must not be that bad when you want to charge me a pretty hefty amount of money to shoot them. When a species becomes so out of control that the damage it does is wrecking habitat for other species on a grand scale, and creating large scale damage to agriculture to the point it is causing massive loss in farm revenue--well this isn't the time to turn things into a money making scheme.
I truly do wonder about the effects of the poison on other species, and what possible unforeseen long term effects it may have moving forward. Using poison to control large scale animal populations is a plan that REALLY warrants VERY-VERY careful study. Again--many times we as people want, and enact short, quick solutions to a problem that has taken a while to come about. We usually get in a big hurry, and base things on emotions rather than sound facts.
All I can say is TEXAS--you better think things through. MANY people would easily help shoot tons of hogs if allowed, and could actually understand some rules, and regs.. As it stands-many are confused about the laws, rules, and just what is legal, and illegal.
Best of luck Texas.

·
Super Moderator
5,180 Posts
I have a buddy who does a helicopter hunt in Texas each winter. The hog numbers there are incredible. This year, his companions couldn't handle the helo flight, so he ended up doing a whole day in the air. He ended up with 90 kills, plus 8 coyotes. The majority of the hogs are left in the field. Most hunt with AR style guns, some use semi shotguns/ with buckshot. The combination of flying 100 mph 50 feet off the ground and aiming at a moving target does a number on your stomach. I've been invited several times, but passed.

Poisoning with bait sounds like a terrible idea all the way around.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As I recall, there was such a problem with rabbits in parts of australia back in the 1950's, that they were driven up against fences and mowed down with fully auto shotguns mounted on truck roofs. Playing rat patrol on hogs may interest some folks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts