The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a trainer that can move my Weimaraner along a bit before the season starts. She's 1, and we've only done basic OB and wing training.

I'm really busy with my Lab in preparation for the duck/upland season just seeing if anyone knows someone who trains locally

Thanks in advance

Chris

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
spangler2k3 said:
Looking for a trainer that can move my Weimaraner along a bit before the season starts. She's 1, and we've only done basic OB and wing training.

I'm really busy with my Lab in preparation for the duck/upland season just seeing if anyone knows someone who trains locally

Thanks in advance

Chris
She's only 1, just hunt her as much as possible (without the Lab on the ground at the same time) and only shoot birds she points. Let her have this season to learn how to hunt, use her nose, gain confidence and then line up a trainer for the spring or summer to begin "finishing" her. Seriously, it's much better not to rush the "schedule." I think most trainers will tell you the first year or more is about exposure to birds, gaining confidence and learning to hunt and THEN you begin the steps to formalizing the dog's training.

When the woodcock start moving thru in early to mid-October they can provide excellent exposure & education for a young pointing dog. Before the season opens you can even take along a blank gun if you want (it's not necessary though), if she points the bird you can begin firing the blank during the flush.

·
Registered
964 Posts
RyanR said:
spangler2k3 said:

Thanks in advance

Chris
She's only 1, just hunt her as much as possible (without the Lab on the ground at the same time) and only shoot birds she points. Let her have this season to learn how to hunt, use her nose, gain confidence and then line up a trainer for the spring or summer to begin "finishing" her. Seriously, it's much better not to rush the "schedule." I think most trainers will tell you the first year or more is about exposure to birds, gaining confidence and learning to hunt and THEN you begin the steps to formalizing the dog's training.

When the woodcock start moving thru in early to mid-October they can provide excellent exposure & education for a young pointing dog. Before the season opens you can even take along a blank gun if you want (it's not necessary though), if she points the bird you can begin firing the blank during the flush.
Good advice right there, but that's just my opinion and it's well known that I don't know anything!!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i really do appreciate the replies.. She is becoming quite the retriever and honestly if she keeps it up, i'm not even going to bother training her to point.. Her prey drive is through the roof without much training at all (remember, pet first, hunter second)

I spend 95% of my training time with my lab Reggie. and the 5% of traning with sadie (weim) is mostly just OB

When we train with ducks, she casts well and retrieves..

i guess i'm at a point where i need to decide if i want her to point or flush. Because i took her at the end of last years pheasant before it got cold and she did a little of both (flushing influenced by the lab) and pointing at random smells/objects.

I guess i really dont need a trainer, i'm just going to hunt them both and have one [censored] of a time with my two furry friends

Sorry for the random post

1 - 5 of 5 Posts