The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am dying to get into blackpowder again, but I have limited knowledge. I have an TC Hawken .50cal flintlock that is at least 25-30yrs old, but it will fit the bill.

Haven't shot it in ten yrs or so, recently I cannot get the flints to spark. I have powder, patches, borebutter, and Remington brand roundballs. I remember using a 90gr charge that was pretty accurate with this rifle/ball combination.

Does anyone know of any shops that can work on my rifle or have any opinions that can get me on the right track? Any place specialize in black powder in the Scranton-Poconos-Lehigh valley area?
Thanks in advance,
Buster

·
Registered
282 Posts
1)nap you flint... (chip away the old portion) or if it is "double edged" flip it around
2)position/reposition the flint to hit the striker square i have mine set to hit 1/2 2/3 the way up and have never had an issue...
3)remove oil / grease / tarnish off the striker plate
i would try these first before taking it to a shop...

love to help in person, but i'm on the MD border...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Most likley your frizzen has become"soft". You can get it rehardened but it is more cost effective to get a replacement frizzen.Dixon's muzzleloading shop is located in Kempton ,not far off of 78. You could also check with Track of The Wolf for a replacement frizzen. I'm assuming you have tried new flints. There are other places to get TC parts from these are two that I know. You could also try Thompson Center for a replacement. Good Luck!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I live in Bethlehem and have been shooting blackpowder for over 30 years. We should get together and I can help you out at a local range in your area. Let me know...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys, when I head back to the house on sunday I'm going to try playing with the flints (see if I need new ones). Then the frizzen is going to get a good cleaning and I will go from there.
Micky, Bethlehem is only 25 min or so, I'm sending you a pm.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
New flint is a cheap investment.If you can find a Black English,get it.Try cleaning that frizzen with cotton ball and Alcohol.Whipe that flint also.NO OIL on either!If you are still having problems with spark,then replace the frizzen with a Lyman frizzen.
Is your hammer like the top one or bottom?
Top is old style
Bottom is new.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those hammers in that pic look exactly the same to me, the gun is over 25yrs old if that helps. I'm going back home on Sunday, thats when I will get to the gun. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
eastcoasttraps said:
Just out of curiosity.. why did Thompson Center upgrade the hammer? I have the old style hammer on mine. thanks.
The angle wasn`t just right and would skip on the frizzen instead of shave it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have a renegade that has some issues and It will be sent back to TC soon, it has the old lock. Also the set triggers are not right, I will pull the set trigger and when I go to pull the other one it resets itself. Also I can't get it to shoot RB's worth a crap. I contacted TC and they instantly wrote back with instructions and an address

1 - 15 of 15 Posts