The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I saw another post it reminded me to ask. Anyone know if the blueberries are ripe around the I80 corridoor yet?? Always enjoy taking my kids up there each year for a massive pick fest of a couple hours. Good family fun but I missed it completely last year or else it never happened.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
If your talking about the high bush berries....no not yet. The low bush will be ready now.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I think the schedule is a bit early this year for blueberries. I took my parents for a ride last Saturday and we picked about 6 quarts off the high bushes. Our spots are a few miles from Blakeslee Corners.

The bushes were about 1/3 to 1/2 ripened berries.

I'd say this weekend will be prime time.

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I'm talking highbush around the Hickory Run / Turnpike / R80 interchance area. May plan a little day trip type of thing next weekend or possibly this weekend.

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
Next weekend might be your better shot.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My high ones are about 50/50, blue/green and have filled three gallon bags right now....a few more days and they will all be ready to be picked....

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm planning on making a big run this Saturday am most likely but possibly Sunday. Hopefully I will not be too late again. Really hate to drive and 45 minutes to an hour only to find nothing again like last year

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I was just at Ricketts Glen and Lackawanna SP late last week and the high bush berries at both places were close, but not showing any color change yet. If I were gauging the berries in that region based on what I saw, I'd say this weekend at the earliest. Next weekend for sure.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Most bushes around me are not ripe yet. "Aug 1st" is normally peak time in the Pocono's.

We need rain...everything is drying up & these conditions will not favor a long berry picking season.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
4 gallon bags, vacuum sealed and in the freezer......earlier than usual and there are still a lot of green ones so this season should go a few weeks for me......love the blueberry and my kids do too.... They are set for muffins, pancakes, cereal, smoothies, etc..... I have around 35 high brush bushes and take very good care of them outside our wetland.......good stuff.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Thanks for the reminder yall.

I'll have to check the wild lows and see.

Gotta be careful as the rattlers are a more frequent sight with the lack of rain these days.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I think it all depends on the conditions of the berry picking spot.

As of last weekend, a few spots I checked the berries were all dried up from the extreme hot spell and lack of rain we experienced.

Other spots that had some large shade trees interspersed between the berry bushes and a swampy ground were fairing better - but the quality was worse than the previous week. The bushes I picked off were about 60% ripened berries. This is in a 10 mile radius from Blakeslee Corners.

Given the extended weather forecast, it does notlook too good for the unripened berries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts