The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up to camp today to check on things and I have one burst pipe, on a perpendicular where there was no water. I drained everything. Another joint just pulled apart.
No heat in the winter. I have a propane hot water heater.
I am thinking of replacing all of it with PEX and get away from copper.
I have never used PEX before. Will it meet my needs or should I replace the copper pipe?
Is it easy to connect PEX to other materials?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I'm doing my place this year the same way. I think you'll be fine. PEX is popular at the camps around my place. I know some all year round residents that have used it and have no problems. There are a bunch of different kind of connectors which can add up, but PEX wont corrode like copper. It was recommended to me bacause it's less likely to break when frozen and the water at my place is harsh on metal pipes.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Pex is easy to use and easy to replace in sections they make a fitting that just pushes together called a shark bite. Couple fittings and a piece of tube and you can fix your breaks in a matter of seconds

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Had my camp freeze up about 3 years ago and lost all the plumbing. Replaced it all with PEX and haven't had a lick of trouble. Even had the place freeze again from a bad igniter in the furnace and the PEX survived throughout.
I bought the better crimping tool for around $75 at home Depot and used the compression sleeves. Very easy to use and not one failure.

I'll never use anything else!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I tore all of mine out last year and replaced with pex. That is the best way to go and easy to repair if needed. You can buy different fiiting to connect to all types of pipe. If you buy the good tools to crimp the fittings be prepared to spend a little money. We have 1/2 and 3/4 in our place

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Pex will cost less than copper. It is faster to instal. Buy the crimper. It will be cheaper than buying the shark bite fittings if you are going to replace all of the plumbing.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I'm running my lines with PEX and using sharksbite connectors. They are pretty expense but extremely easy to use and versatile.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My camp struggles with the broken pipe issues from time to time, even with a decent water supply drain system in place, you sometimes forget to open a spigot or something and end up with a broke pipe.

I have run PEX in my own home, cant say enough about it. Both for hot and cold water, along with 3/4" for my hot water baseboard heat. It's very impressive stuff.

The gator bites or generic alternative are excellent for quick fixes or areas that you can not get a crimp tool in to. But for the price of say a 90 degree gator or shark bite, you can buy a 5 or 10 pack of brass crimp fittings & crimp rings. So if you're doing an entire camp or even just a few supply lines, you'll appreciate the savings that buying a universal crimp tool, or if you do not need more than just a 1/2" crimp, the standard size specific crimp tool for less money will do the trick.

PEX is said to be burst proof, but I still wouldn't let a camp sit unheated for an entire winter with out draining the system.

Probably the best feature of the PEX is when you're running pluming in an existing structure, you can fish it through walls and it bends easily (note there is a minimum bend radius)

You simply cant go wrong with the stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts