The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just confirming what I'm reading and looking for your interpretation of what the regs say.

as far as I can tell, it is not required to plug a shotgun for deer. that said...i can fit 6 slugs in there...adding a little weight to take down some of the guns sting?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I leave mine in year round if you need that many rounds to take down a deer there are other issues. The increase of aprox 7 oz of weight is not really going to help recoil much.

Good luck out there.

·
Registered
653 Posts
no plug required to deer hunt.. only need a plug for waterfowl (and steel shot) and small game,,, don't even need a plug for predator hunting

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
genxweb said:
I leave mine in year round if you need that many rounds to take down a deer there are other issues. The increase of aprox 7 oz of weight is not really going to help recoil much.

Good luck out there.
Unless you are doing a drive and happen to be posting...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sec.

2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(1) An automatic firearm or similar device.

(2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.

(3) Reserved.

(4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine.(law)

(5) it is unlawful to: Use a semi-automatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for coyotes or crows unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine (regulations)

Coyotes are covered in both law and regulation because at one time they were not classified as furbearers as they are now, it is no longer necessary to cover them in regulation since the classification change.

You really shouldn't be telling people things that are false, if you don't know remain silent.

·
Registered
653 Posts
John S said:
Sec.

2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:

(1) An automatic firearm or similar device.

(2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.

(3) Reserved.

(4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine.(law)

(5) it is unlawful to: Use a semi-automatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for coyotes or crows unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine (regulations)

Coyotes are covered in both law and regulation because at one time they were not classified as furbearers as they are now, it is no longer necessary to cover them in regulation since the classification change.

You really shouldn't be telling people things that are false, if you don't know remain silent.
And why should i remain silent on this?? asked about deer hunting, not small game, birds or furbearers... asked about deer.. no plug needed... also the regs. say manual shotguns, so semi's have no part in this, and shoulda never even have came up
John S said:

If your talking to me on that part,,, and unless the regs have changed since feb you SHOULDN'T need a plug for preds.... I asked a PGC guy about it in Feb and his responce was "no you don't need a plug for your shotgun, but it's gota be manually opperated"... PM me if you don't believe me

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
We have no anmals classifies as predators in this state, we do have furbearers, I posted the regs and law, you need a plug, nothing has changed since Feb. I am not going to argue with you, the info you posted was incorrect and what I posted is directly from the book. I recommend you recheck your source.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ok if you wanta be all tec. "the furbearers"... I talked to the PA house of Reps (i rechecked the name) and he said that i didn't need a plug.... I'm not gona argue about it... i know what i asked and i know what he said.. plain and simple... and i'll be using my sluggun for furbearers that is unplugged.... and a WCO ask me about it and i'll tell him about it

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The House of Representatives you ask about the law? That would explain the wrong answer. Like going to a plumber for a tooth ache. You do what you want to do, just don't tell others it is legal. I posted the law, not a guess. I suggest you call the PGC Bureau of Law Enforcement and ask someone who knows and test your theory if you really want to know. The representative told me to do it will not work as a defense in court.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
TheAnimalSlayer said:
Ok if you wanta be all tec. "the furbearers"... I talked to the PA house of Reps (i rechecked the name) and he said that i didn't need a plug.... I'm not gona argue about it... i know what i asked and i know what he said.. plain and simple... and i'll be using my sluggun for furbearers that is unplugged.... and a WCO ask me about it and i'll tell him about it
I know this guy, its my Mom's cousin's brother in-law...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts