The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used a plotmaster to put there food plots in?? if so how well did it work or how well didn't it work.
i'm thinking about getting one.

·
6,464 Posts
you can rent one in clarion to see if you like it then you could go buy one.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you rented it there before?? how did you like it? and do you know what the cost is to rent it???

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you get it, post up if you like it or not. I am curious how well they work, just hard to believe there really tear the soil up.

·
6,464 Posts
pheasants said:
have you rented it there before?? how did you like it? and do you know what the cost is to rent it???
no i didnt rent it i went to a seminar and they had it there. i cant remember the cost. ill look it up and pm you the phone number.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have all kinds of bigger stuff. I'm hoping to fine something small. something i could do like a 1 acre or like a 1/2 acres plots.

thank you

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
pheasants,I use a soil pulverizer for my plots.I bought it several years ago for putting in lawns when I was landscaping.It is very heavy and well built and doesn't require adding extra weight.
It does a great job of tearing up roots and rocks and grading to get a nice seedbed.
After seeding I just adjust the toplink and use the rear roller as a cultipacker to ensure good seed-to-soil cantact.

http://www.landpride.com/main_products/main_sp.html

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you,
i'm looking for some kind of seeder for my 4 wheeler.
i have 7's food plots that are 1/2-1 acre in size. So i'm hoping to fine something good to use.

thank you

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I understand I don't know the whole story here and access may be the issue, however I do 1/4 acre plots with a 50 hp tractor and a 7' tiller.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have big tractors.. that my problem most everything i have is over 100 hp. its hard to do a 1/2-1 acre plot in the woods with that.. if you know what i mean.. i just need something smaller..

·
Registered
777 Posts
I like your 100 hp. tractor with some good implements.sure your turning around and backing up alot.But you know you can get the job done.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
A 1/4 plot and 100hp tractor could be a hand full. I did 6 plots today ranging from 1/8 of a acre to 1.2 acres with the 50 hp kubota a 7 foot tiller. I wouldn't have wanted much more tractor in some of the places I was.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
pheasants said:
I have big tractors.. that my problem most everything i have is over 100 hp. its hard to do a 1/2-1 acre plot in the woods with that.. if you know what i mean.. i just need something smaller..
ATV spreader, sprayer and disc does the trick for thew small stuff. Generally tho, the earlier you spray and allow the roots to rot up, the better the discing results. Spray in the fall and by spring, sod will be easily tilled.

Had a gut spray in mid May this year and tilled the end of July and it went well.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Brad do you ever use a cultipacker for bigger seeds like rye,oats or peas?I'd like to get one for the ATV but the buggers are expensive.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I haven't planted larger seeds like you mentioned, but a small cultipacker does well for the small stuff. I biught a cultipacker "pup" at a mud sale a few years back and use it on my plots.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
I'm going to keep my eyes open.Anywhere locally I can look for a used one?

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Thanky,that's where I bought my first garden disc....$40.
Then I got a king kutter.I'm liking that thing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts