The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have two plots. One is a second year plot first year was brassicas, this year is clover which has done very well. The other plot (first year) is a brassica, oat and winter pea mix. The oats make up the majority of the plot followed by some small brassica and havent seen the winter peas. The area is more rocky then I would prefer but thats what I have. In all the plot has good coverage and the oats seem to still be growing, even after some significant snow last month. Should I alternate planting these plots with something else each year?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Clover is O.k. to leave for a few years. Maintenece is a big key to keeping clover around. Never follow brassicas with brassicas. There is a fungus that can develop that will make it tough if not impossible to grow them in that field for quite some time. RR soybeans would work good to follow brassicas with then follow the soybeans with switchgrass!! If that plot is near Shunk it wouldn't hurt to plant lots of switchgrass. Corn after RR soybeans works great too. Corn and swgrass use up all the residual N in the soil from the beans.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I have planted brassicas for 4 years straight. I know its not recommended, but 2 or 3 years is fine.

Clover plots will last a good while, as long as they are taken care of, which can be a challenge at times. Spray for weeds and grasses, and you'll be fine.

This year, as I have planted brassicas 4 years straight, I'm going to sow buckwheat in early summer, not real heavy, then in late August, I'll plant some winter rye for fall/winter/spring.

May even renovate my clover plot this spring by hitting it with a mild solution of Roundup. It should kill out the weeds and grasses, and the clover will come back in fairly strong. We'll see. Did it once a few years ago on another plot with great success.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts