The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, plot recipes are super secret. Anyhow, I thought that it would be a good start for newcomers and old timers alike. A little database of plots that work in the different regions of the state. What is your best mix in 1 field? What field attracts more than others? Doesn't have to be anything real fancy but, something like this:

Tioga county

Spring (Stands for whole year)

Soybean (climbing variety)
Corn
Black oil Sunflower
sorghum
Broadcast and cultipacked.

Summer
Deer hit the soybeans and clover plots hard in summer.

Fall

Oats
Winter Peas
Turnips/Rape

Looking through my records last night these fields have been our best attracting and producing plots. I hope my fellow HPA members use this and can enjoy the same success that we have. The deer herd and other animals in PA woods benefit greatly from food plots. We as hunters benefit from them as well. It is a small percentage of animals that we hunters take off of the plots so, many more continue on living healthier.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I like the idea Angus

I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty new to the whole plot game. Most of what I've learned has been from some of the knowlegable fellas right here on HPA, the rest is trial by fire

Washington County
Ph levels are good to great, with nothin below 6 and the best at 6.8.

this spring

plot#1
Ladino clover, Black oil sunflowers. Looks great!! Need to enlarge this one next year.

Plot #2
A brassica mix from a local farm supply, this plot fizzled out after an extended period of no rain and was subsequently plowed under for Fall Planting of Winter Oats

Plot #3

A mix of White, Red and Ladino Clover

Fall

Plot #4
A mix of 7-Top Turnips, Purple Top Turnips, Dwarf Essex Rape, and Pulsar Rape. Growing great thus far, excellent germination after only 3 days!!

Plot#5
Canadian Winter Oats from my local farm supply, just seeded last weekend.

Plot #6
A mix of Rape from a local farm supply. again excellent germination after only a few days. this is in a wooded area with limited sunlight.

Hopefully I can let you all know what gets hit and how hard in the coming months!!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I really don't have a good fields for spring planting but man I'd love to give that mix a try someday if I do.

On the Fall plots...we are right on
, I do have some winter wheat out there.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nobody else wants to add their plots? This would be a great thread if we could get some more folks to contribute.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Fall plot Clover & Chicory with a cover crop of Winter Wheat.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is only my fourth year planting plots and this is what I'm doing this year:
<u>Summer</u> ( my spring was washed out)
Lab Lab
Buckwheat
Clover & chicory
"Maximize" (forage soybeans,grain
sorghum,summer peas & sunflowers)
Field corn

<u>Fall</u>
Brassicas(By themselves and around the corn)
Winter peas
Winter rye
I've used corn,clover & chicory, and brassicas before and they're a good draw. This year will be my first for the others.

<u>Winter</u>
Prune the old apple trees
Cut trees to open areas
Plan for the next year

I attend QDMA seminars and field days whenever I can. They're a good source of info.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Barneyhunts said:
This is only my fourth year planting plots and this is what I'm doing this year:
Summer ( my spring was washed out)
Lab Lab
Buckwheat
Clover & chicory
"Maximize" (forage soybeans,grain
sorghum,summer peas & sunflowers)
Field corn
Barney, how did the deer take to that Maximize? I've thought about planting it but have stuck to straight soybeans the last two years. Seems like an interesting mix.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Here are my plots I've found to be good.

Summer: Ladino clover & soybeans are hit the most. I've planted lab lab, buckwheat, sunflowers and corn in a mix together and it did well but they didn't hammer it.

Fall: Brassicas by far. I've planted several of the commercial mixes with success. This year I mixed purple top turnips, dwarf essex rape, bonar rape and another turnip that I can't think of right now. I'm sure it will get pounded just like all of the others. A good cheap plot that the deer will like is winter rye. That stuff will grow anywhere and is a good draw.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Barney, how did the deer take to that Maximize? I've thought about planting it but have stuck to straight soybeans the last two years. Seems like an interesting mix. [/quote]

Bake545,
This is the first time that I've planted it and it's growing and filling the plot really well. So good in fact that I don't believe the deer are into it yet.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I tried an experiment. All of my fall plots (except one) are 1/2 brassicas and 1/2 Buck Forage Oats. I separated the oats from the brassicas in these plots. In the other plot (.6 acre) I disced in the buckwheat and planted 35 lbs of the Buck Forage Oats, 2lbs of brassicas, and 3lbs. of Birdsfoot Trefoil. We'll see...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
westonhunter said:
Fall plot Clover & Chicory with a cover crop of Winter Wheat.
Where do you buy the winter wheat. I'm in Susq. co & can not find anywhere to buy it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts