The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I need your help and suggestions. Time is not on my side for 2010. Here are the current conditions of my plots, all have had a variety of plants in there annuals and perennels. Clover is pretty well established but weeds infested.
So lets take a look and you tell me what you would do with these.
Pasture plot…primary plants, clover and chicory.

The dogbone..got real swampy in 2009, but clover established well in some areas.

The orchard plot….put 10 apple trees in here, have a clover base, lots of weeds again.

The ridgeline…got clover ,winter wheat and brassicas last fall.

Camp Plot, got winter wheat and brassicas last Fall this is what came back.

Give me you thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
sometimes you have to remember these are foodplots for deer,not crops for harvest. Most of us have full time job plus other hobbies. We started a rotation for our plots and some areas get left or just mowed[mow the wheat now].Take a walk and see how much they are used,I have been suprised many times

·
Registered
899 Posts
My thoughts would be just to mow for now John. Maybe look into spraying after you see the results from that.
Later in late summer I would mow your wheat again, scratch the surface up and overseed a rape/crimson clover mix. In your other plots same sort of thing, maybe adding some winter oats for some new growth and variety. This plot will get hit hard in the fall for your crossbow activity.
Overall your plots are alittle weedy and neglected but still offer alot of green food to let the deer browse a little. Don't be to hard on yourself, still alot of time to get ready for the fall plot season, which at this date should be your focus in my "nonexpert" opinion.

Scott

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the replies and reinforcement of my plans..

I actually would of mowed these the day i took the pics, but I blew a tire on the self-propelled brush mower, and the old lawn tractor was having one of those days where it just putters out.

We (son and I) are heading up next weekend...the plan is to mow all plots and trails,hours and hours of work cause we are so far behind, but he loves riding that tractor and i don;t mind walking behind the beastmower. Unfortunately they likely both will choke out cause of the height now.

I had a 3/4 of a handheld spayer bottle of last years gly I sprayed on the dogbone...it kicked some of the elephant year dwon. That whole plot is definatley getting sparayed.

"Crossbow activity"...you say that like it is a dirty word.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Guru I am not, opinionated I am LOL.

Mowing produces growth of clover and less weeds, a mistake I have made in the past is to not mow enough.

Dutch has a gly. recipe to hit it with in May that you might want to try next spring, it will knock down the weeds and promote the clover.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Right, make sure you mow BEFORE weeds go to seed. No sense allowing those weeds to reproduce.

1/2 qt per acre of Gly in May on clover will kill off the grasses and many weeds. The clover wil appear to die, but within 6 weeks, the clover will be back. The clover does need or should be 3 years old. I did it to 2 year old clover and it did well.

Did a log trail back in May and have not been back to see how it worked.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Crossbow activity not a dirty word. Guy gets a crossbow and then a chip on his shoulder....

My archery season was amazing over my wheat/rape/crimson clover field. Would love for people to have seen half the deer activity I saw last year.
Was planning on(drooling over) a new Z7. Would be my first new bow I ever bought but the old Mathews will have to do another year. My kids need a crossbow to hunt with Dad this year. So I will be joining the crossbow community and visiting Arrowhead this summer, am really looking forward to introducing my kids to deer hunting this fall.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Mow, mow, mow! The clover will respond well to mowing, the weeds will not. If you mow your plots a time or two and you still arent happy with the amount of weeds there is plenty of time to till and plant a brassica plot for fall.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Smtn10pt said:
Mow, mow, mow! The clover will respond well to mowing, the weeds will not.
I mow every 3 to 4 weeks, depending on the weather.
Here are some results from mowing. A lot of good looking clover.

Here is a section ready to be mowed. I'm letting the clover go to seed first.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
keep the winter wheat mowed down a little bit to keep it tender for the deer to eat, they dont like it when its headed out, also a small amount of weeds doesnt hurt anything, mow the clover alittle aslo. if the weeds get horrable spray it in august and plant them into fall plots

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Im hardly a guru but I would say if time is limited, I would mow some now but let it go til september. Then mow it down and broadcast some more brassica in that last plot.

PS Have you ever thought about spraying down the dogbone and trying a fall annual in there. Seems like a great shape for pinch points and to use as a killing plot.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I knew you were joking on that...

Was planning on(drooling over) a new Z7. Would be my first new bow I ever bought but the old Mathews will have to do another year. My kids need a crossbow to hunt with Dad this year. So I will be joining the crossbow community and visiting Arrowhead this summer, am really looking forward to introducing my kids to deer hunting this fall.
I hope you have a great Fall...had all the kids fishing this weekend, and we did really well on the fish, but as we were cleaning up to go I thought about having all out in stands this Fall...
....good problem to have.

We got some mowers to get running good, but we decided to stay home this weekend (first in awhile) and the oldest and I are going to mow,mow,mow, and then mow. Hope it is warm and dry or else we are going to clog alot.

Thanks all for the comments...going to try to keep them mowed and plan towards Fall plantings in early August.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SHady, great thinking...

The dogbone gets annuals every fall and would be a great killing plot if one was there to do the killin…. This year it is getting 100% brassicas as they do well there. No more grasses, clover base is started and should take a little distubance to plant brassicas.

There is a ladder stand over in that hedgerow...just sits empty too often if you look close in the secone pic you can see it....near the brown white oak leaves at the creekbottom edge. Estimate that buck at 15 yard shot, give or take a yard.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those pics are from the first cam I ever got, it is an OLD flash Moultrie. I don't remember the version, etc.., but it has a camo case and is a flash cam and takes and SD, back when 514 mb SD cards were as high as they got. It has been a real workhorse for over 4 years now, however I bought one just like it beacsue of that and had to send that one back within a week or two.

Anyway, this old camera has taken alot of "framers" (as I call them) over the years.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Yep Rooster.. What they said... MOW MOW MOW!

At least you have a nice variety up there too.

As for your camera, that old Moultrie is still kicking? So is mine, I have the same one too probably purchased them the same year????
Mine is slowly passin' away though. Still takes great photos but the digital times and dates and memory isn't working like it should. Just gotta wing it with dates and times.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Is that warren county, Iowa? that buck is a hawg. great deer management brother. you are overdue for pope and young.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My neighbor (while hunting my place) was the only one to get a shot at that buck in 2008 that I know of and missed him.

Don't give me too much kudos on the management, it is not like I don't want to kill these bucks at 2.5 years old....
, they just get old to spite me.

I have no complaints on how they grow racks there, seen three real big ones from archery stands so far in 3 years (no shots), get several very nice ones on cam annually, and missed a legend of buck there in 06 with a rifle, only 35 days into my ownership of the place (so i can take no credit on growing it) . Kicked him up like a bunny, bedded right in the creekbottom behind that ladder stand mentioned above in fact, that is why the stand is now there as it sees down into the creekbottom in the back and keeps the scent above it.

I don't care much for record books. I just like my knees wobbling and heart stopping like they do when those types appear.

Looking forward to doing some MOWING up there this weekend, rain or shine. Weedwacker or repaired mower

1 - 19 of 19 Posts