The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this was the first year that I took this trapping think serious. No, I did not have 200 traps out and I wasn't running 300 miles of long line. Just 2 farms and set some sets around my property. Really wanted to catch a bobcat, fox, and a coyote. During archery season I kept seeing a bobcat come past my stand and my wife was seeing one also. Since I tagged out kinda early in archery season thought this was going to be the year I really dig into this thing called trapping. I read tons of post on this forum and watched a lot of Youtube videos. Spent a ton of money on more trapping supplies and went full bore. The first set I put in was Dec 23 for Bobcat, and to my surprise the next morning had a nice Bobcat waiting on me. Pulled all my bobcat sets and focused on trying to catch a coyote or fox. Was getting trail camera pics of both and set were I was seeing them in my photos and other sign. The 2 farms I was checking every morning before work and the traps at the house I would check after work. I am trying to get my 9 year old daughter into this stuff, so every evening when I would pull in the driveway she would be on her 4 wheeler waiting to check the line. I don't know who was more excited me or her but we had a blast! I had some DPs set along the creek and she loved checking them since we were a lot more successful catching coon than fox or coyotes. I ended up cabling my first red fox and caught another about a week later in a hay set. That was the coolest thing ever. On one of the farms the first day we went in there i put about 7 traps in. The first check that morning I doubled on cats. caught one in a dirt hole and about 30 yards a way i had a flat set/ urine post set that I had another in. That was probable the coolest thing that I have ever experienced. Ended up catching 4 bobcats this year, 2 red fox, 4 possums, 1 skunk and 8 raccoons. Did a lot of it with my daughter and that was probable the highlight of the year! I plan on next year getting at least 6- 7 more farms and about 4 dozen more traps. I asked a lot of people questions on here and got some good info from Hern, BigBrownie and Flint Lock and many more. I really appreciate the help. My father was a hunter and fisherman never trapped a thing in his life so this is a totally new experience for me. Goal for next year COYOTE, FISHER. Here are a few pics from my season.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Don't give me any credit, I think you know as much or more about this as I do. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Longbeard12

·
Registered
13 Posts
Trapping is intense. You end up being a much better hunter as you look at the sign with a different prospectus.
I trapped from the time I was 12 to my early 20's. It was the late 70's early 80's. I paid for two winter semesters of college doing it. I think back then you actually learned something there.
How about the Marienville furs auction. Does that still happen? We drove up to to sell my furs once or twice. My father was a white collar worker. He about **** when he saw the check I got. I was thinking about it the whole way home. What if it bounces? It's from NJ. It didn't.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Great job. Your daughter looks very happy to be out there. Now I've always wondered how the heck do you release a bobcat or other wild animal you didn't mean to catch?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great job. Your daughter looks very happy to be out there. Now I've always wondered how the heck do you release a bobcat or other wild animal you didn't mean to catch?
I use a catch pole, and really long arms!! Lol it's alot easier if you have another person hold them down with the pole, while you let them out of the trap. Its really not that hard. I have video of the one but not sure how to post it. Maybe I will try later to post the video.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I use a catch pole, and really long arms!! Lol it's alot easier if you have another person hold them down with the pole, while you let them out of the trap. Its really not that hard. I have video of the one but not sure how to post it. Maybe I will try later to post the video.
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how the heck you do it alone without getting torn up? I've never really seen a catch a pole in action.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts