The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If you go to Remington's website, you'll see where some of the inaccuracies are in the CNBC story.

The people causing injuries violated rule #1 of firearm safety.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They may have, however, a gun shouldn't fire before the trigger is pulled and certainly this number of firearms in the hands of the public is a dangerous situation that the company chose to sweep under the rug even after the guy who invented the trigger mechanism warned the company about it and had a solution the company chose not to use. Remington has put themselves in a terrible situation and if they now admit culpability they will be financially destroyed. Had they acted early on this would not be an issue.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is old news, but the media has a habit if resurecting old news and going after the target of the news. I am betting they are going to go after Remington in a big way to try to persuade congress to pass liability laws that will put gun makers on their knees or out of business, then all they have to do is pass a ban on imports and it will be the begining of the end. They didn't do this piece on CNBC because there is no other news, they have a motive and it isn't to help gunowners who own mod 700 rifles.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I agree with you John. Just that this came up years ago. Again, a good thing to know.

Muab

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
60 Minutes did a show on those rifles about 10 years ago or so.We have one that I have personaly seen this happen on several occasions.I won,t let nobody use it.I,m either goona trade it off or wrap it around a tree.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The problem is two fold:
first, keep the gun pointed in a save direction, at all times.
Second Never oil or graphite a Remington trigger mechanism, the sludge id the culprit. Clean the trigger mechanism by removing it from the stock and spray with a solvent like WD-40 or Gum Out, once ever 3-4 years.
then you will have a good trigger and no problem.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Very old news and I'm not defending Remington for not dealing it with it long ago, either.

But, the crux of the matter, is that the anti-gun media trots this one out every so often and as-noted, they do not bring it up for the benefit of M700 owners.

And I would <u>never</u> spray WD40 on any working component of any firearm, including the trigger. WD40 has its uses, but that would not be one of them. The stuff attracts dirt and eventually turns into a wad of varnish-like crud.

There are problems with the original M700 triggers. Partly from the design, coupled with the fact that the safety had to be disengaged in order to open the bolt. Newer M700s no longer have that feature, as the bolts can be opened while the safety is engaged.

Still feel that the majority of the fabled Accidental Discharges, had more to do with shade tree "gunsmiths" tinkering with such triggers. Probably because I have encountered far too many such situations personally.

Keep it pointed in a safe direction always, as with any firearm. Anything mechanical can and will malfunction at some point, regardless of how well it was designed or made.

No one has ever been injured by an AD, if basic firearm safety procedures were followed.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
Agree!
My 788 .222 has to be in the fire position to open the bolt, but never had a missfire.Always keep firearms pointed in a safe direction because you never know!!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
good ole boy said:
60 Minutes did a show on those rifles about 10 years ago or so.We have one that I have personaly seen this happen on several occasions.I won,t let nobody use it.I,m either goona trade it off or wrap it around a tree.
If your going to wrap it around a tree, let me know where and when. I can always use another someone played Babe Ruth with.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Locking this 'un, because the topic is a duplicate of Spur's post from last evening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts