The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question for somebody that knows about atv exhaust. My father has a quad that has a hole in the muffler. my question is is it bad for the motor if it is left as is. we do not use it very often and the extra sound does not bother us that much we are just trying to see if it is worth the $150 for a new muffler.

·
Registered
10,951 Posts
Buy a patch kit at an auto store and patch it. You could also use a couple of hose clamps and a can to fix it.

I doubt it would hurt the engine but the hot gases could damage plastic body parts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats a good idea, ill try to look into a kit or figure out some way to get hose clamps over it. Thanks for the help guys! my main concern was to make sure that it will not be damaging to the engine!

·
Registered
942 Posts
It depends on how big the hole is. If the hole is big enough it will cause the motor to run lean which means hot. Do what was said above to patch the hole.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If its in the muffler of a non high performance atv, its bot going to hurt it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A common mistake is back pressure. People say if you dont have backpressure it ruins gas engines. This is false. Only comes into play in diesel. Your quad will be fine. Auto parts store sell tape you can wrap the muffler in. With heat it seal. I recommend heating it with a tourch very carefully to seal it good.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have a complete straight pipe on my '11 cummins. Doesn't hurt it one bit. I also have headers into 3" into short straight pipes on my 383 mud race truck. Back pressure is needed to help with low end torque and to not burn up valves. His hole in the muffler wont have an effect to worry about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts